Brian Anderson’s fourth-inning home run provided all the runs the Marlins would need in a 1-0 victory. Elieser Hernandez pitched 4.1 innings of shutout ball and allowed just three baserunners while Brandon Kintzler locked down his second save of the season.
In Game 2, the Fish got all of their offense out of the way early, scoring two runs in the first off a Jesús Aguilar sac fly and a Brian Anderson single. Five relievers combined to hold the O’s to a single run.
Next up for the Marlins: a great opportunity to sweep a 4-game series, something that the club hasn’t done since April 2016. https://t.co/9OGwD49Xgs— Fish Stripes (@fishstripes) August 6, 2020
- Miami not only remains in first place in the NL East, they have the best winning percentage in baseball, along with the Minnesota Twins and the Chicago Cubs.
- The 5-1 start ties the best record in franchise history after six games. This has the team’s Twitter account ready to take on anyone.
- The second win Wednesday gave Don Mattingly his 281st as Marlins manager, tying him with Jack McKeon for most all-time.
- All those sidelined by COVID were there in spirit, while also socially distancing. And even with rosters set to contract, those who are physically there will get to remain:
Marlins active roster shrinks from 30 to 28 before their next game, but the taxi squad limit expands. So they’ll be able to keep all the current players traveling with them on this road trip. Keep the magic alive. https://t.co/XRR8xaOViC— Fish Stripes (@fishstripes) August 6, 2020
- In an effort to prevent future outbreaks such as those the Marlins and Cardinals have already dealt with this season, MLB further intensified its COVID protocols Wednesday. Suspension is now a possibility for players who do not abide by stricter regulations, such as wearing a mask at all times when not on the field or in a hotel room.
- After the flurry of moves over the past week to basically find half a team, the front office wasn’t done. Brandon Liebrandt joined the 60-man player pool Wednesday.
Marlins have signed LHP Brandon Liebrandt to their 60-man roster. Liebrandt was pitching in the Somerset Professional Baseball Series after being released by the Phillies. Charlie’s son if you are my age you know him well.— Craig Mish (@CraigMish) August 6, 2020