It’s still early, but Trevor Rogers and Isan Díaz had productive weekends in spring training games to help distinguish themselves in the pursuit of spots on the Marlins Opening Day roster. Ely Sussman discusses them along with other notable recent performances. Could this be a special year for Starling Marte and Marlins Park attendance? Stick around for a preview of attainable 2021 season milestones.
Enjoy Episode 94!
If you missed the announcement last week, this is the new normal! Every Monday morning throughout the spring and summer, I’ll be hosting solo episodes of The Offishial Show, recapping what the Marlins did in recent days and diving into an additional topic.
Mixed results for the Fish over the weeked in Grapefruit League action:
- Friday—Astros 0, Marlins 1 (F/7)
The milestone pursuits I’ll be monitoring in 2021:
- Total team home runs at home. Single-season record since moving to Marlins Park is 95 (set in 2017) and franchise record is 110 (set in 2007). Deep lineup, reduced outfield dimensions will help.
- Home attendance vs. road attendance. For the first time since the 90s, the Marlins have a chance to draw bigger crowds to their ballpark than most other MLB teams due to regional differences in the handling of COVID-19.
- Pitching staff strikeout total. The single-season record of 1,379 (set in 2016) is on shaky ground if the Marlins get to play all 162 scheduled games.
- Starling Marte tries for 20/20 club. Only four other Marlins players have accumulated at least 20 home runs and 20 stolen bases in the same season. Marte has plenty of motivation as a pending free agent.
- Foreign-born rotation. The Marlins have never had more than 89 games started by pitchers born outside the United States in a single season. Between Sandy Alcantara, Pablo López, Elieser Hernandez and Sixto Sánchez, they can shatter our perception of what’s traditionally been a white man’s role throughout MLB history.
Fish Stripes is ranked by Feedspot as the world’s No. 2 Miami Marlins podcast (trailing only the pod that’s produced by the franchise itself). Our programs include The Offishial Show, Marlins Barbecue, Earning Their Stripes and Big Hall Talk. All new episodes are posted to FishStripes.com/podcasts. You can subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Podbean, Megaphone or wherever you normally get your pods from.