New Marlins Game Recap
- Wednesday’s minor league scores: Double-A Pensacola won, 9-6; High-A Beloit won, 5-0; Low-A Jupiter lost, 2-1, and won, 7-6 (doubleheader); Triple-A Jacksonville and FCL Marlins were postponed. Peyton Burdick and Griffin Conine (Pensacola) and Troy Johnston (Beloit) each had two-homer games, while Dax Fulton (Jupiter) shoved five near-perfect innings!
- Angel Hernandez was having a semi-decent night as home plate umpire...until the bottom of the ninth inning when his egregious missed call turned a Brian Anderson walk into a strikeout.
- The Marlins released their 2022 regular season schedule. All Monday-Friday night games at LoanDepot Park will get underway at 6:40 p.m. (rather than the traditional 7:10). For the first time since 2017, they’ll play opponents from the AL West.
- FiveThirtyEight gives the Marlins a 44% chance to win their series finale against the Mets.
- Happy 24th birthday to Braxton Garrett, who is being recalled to make a spot start for Miami.
- Rookie right-hander Paul Campbell was brought back from his 80-game PED suspension on his first day of eligibility. Campbell must stick on the active roster—which includes avoiding the injured list—through season’s end to satisfy Rule 5 draft conditions, otherwise his roster restrictions will roll over into 2022.
- Joe Frisaro of Man On Second Baseball was having conversations about a potential Jorge Alfaro position change way back in spring training.
- “The Marlins have an interesting group of young, controlled arms, but where the runs are going to come from is still very much to be determined,” writes FanGraphs’ Kevin Goldstein. “Their next two months will likely be used to check out what they’ve got in an attempt to clarify their offseason plans.”
- FOCO is having a clearance sale on face masks! That includes MLB-licensed Marlins and Jesús Aguilar designs, now only $10 each.