The Miami Marlins hit the road with a 2-game win streak to play their division rival New York Mets. The teams will take the field for a double-header on Tuesday, playing out a weather-suspended game from earlier this season. The game was paused after just nine pitches, so there’s lots of baseball to be played on Tuesday.
This series preview will give you all the details:
- Schedule, Watch, Listen
- Probable Pitchers
- Recent Lineups
- What To Watch For
Update: Wednesday’s game has been postponed due to weather. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Sept. 28.
Thursday’s new starting pitchers: Alcantara vs. Carrasco.
Schedule, Watch, Listen
Tuesday, August 31 at 1:10 pm & 7:10 pm
Wednesday, September 1 at 7:10 pm
Thursday, September 2 at 7:10 pm
- TV broadcast for all games: Bally Sports Florida
- Radio broadcast for all games: 940 AM WINZ, WAQI 710
- Tuesday’s 7:10 pm games is also available on MLB Network for out-of-market fans.
- Elieser Hernandez, Marlins starting pitcher on Tuesday (Game 1) Photo by Jasen Vinlove/USA TODAY Sports
- Taijuan Walker, Mets starting pitcher on Tuesday (Game 1) Photo by Wendell Cruz/USA TODAY Sports
- Edward Cabrera, Marlins starting pitcher on Tuesday (Game 2) Photo by Rhona Wise/USA TODAY Sports
- Trevor Williams, Mets starting pitcher on Tuesday (Game 2) Photo by Vincent Carchietta/USA TODAY Sports
- Zach Thompson, Marlins starting pitcher on Wednesday Photo by Katie Stratman/USA TODAY Sports
- Carlos Carrasco, Mets starting pitcher on Wednesday Photo by Robert Hanashiro/USA TODAY Sports
- Sandy Alcantara, Marlins starting pitcher on Thursday Photo by Jim Rassol/USA TODAY Sports
- Rich Hill, Mets starting pitcher on Thursday Photo by Andy Marlin/USA TODAY Sports
- Hernandez: 3.63 ERA, 1.075 WHIP, 24.2 K%, 39.4 HardHit% in 22.1 IP
- Walker: 3.82 ERA, 1.149 WHIP, 22.2 K%, 38.9 HardHit% in 129.2 IP
- Cabrera: 4.26 ERA, 1.105 WHIP, 8.3 K%, 33.4 HardHit% in 6.1 IP
- Williams: 1.04 ERA, 0.923 WHIP, 15.2 K%, 21.7 HardHit% in 8.2 IP
- Thompson: 3.16 ERA, 1.117 WHIP, 20.2 K%, 36.5 HardHit% in 62.2 IP
- Carrasco: 6.94 ERA, 1.286 WHIP, 23.0 K%, 37.0 HardHit% in 23.1 IP
- Alcantara: 3.27 ERA, 1.119 WHIP, 23.4 K%, 38.8 HardHit% in 165.1 IP
- Hill: 4.11 ERA, 1.197 WHIP, 21.9 K%, 35.5 HardHit% in 127.0 IP
What to watch for on...
Tuesday’s Game 1: Completing the suspended game.
- The game will begin in the top of the first inning with one out and a 2-0 count. Miami Herald’s Jordan McPherson detailed how the games will unfold.
- There will be a lot of shuffling for this game. Five Marlins who were in the starting lineup on April 11 are no longer with the team: Corey Dickerson, Starling Marte, Adam Duvall, Chad Wallach, and John Curtiss. This screenshot from MLB Gameday shows where the game left off.
Tuesday’s Game 2: Marlins starting pitcher.
- Fans are likely to see Edward Cabrera or Elieser Hernandez on the mound for the second game on Tuesday.
- Cabrera made his big league debut last Wednesday, going six and one-third innings where he allowed three earned runs. He kept the Nationals scoreless through six but allowed back-to-back home runs in the seventh inning. Hernandez started last Thursday, going five innings and allowing just one earned run.
Wednesday: A different opponent for Zach Thompson.
- Thompson vs. Mets on Aug. 4: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K.
- Thompson faced the Reds in back-to-back starts, struggling the second time around. He’s set to face the Mets on Wednesday, who he kept pretty quiet about a month ago. Thompson has been a nice surprise for the Fish thus far.
Thursday: Sandy Alcantara got run support! Let’s do it again.
- Alcantara’s last outing: 7.0 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 12 K.
- The bats came to life in the first inning of Alcantara’s last start, scoring five immediate runs for their ace. Sandy went on to shut down the Reds and posted a new career-high 12 strikeouts. He’ll be looking to close out the series on a good note.
How will this series play out?
This poll is closed
Marlins sweep, 4-0
Marlins win, 3-1
Ties, 2 wins apiece
Mets win, 3-1
Mets sweep, 4-0