After they were swept by the Cincinnati Reds last week, the Miami Marlins took two of three from the Nationals. They now host the Reds for a 3-game series at LoanDepot Park.
This series preview will give you all the details:
- Schedule, Watch, Listen
- Probable Pitchers
- Recent Lineups
- What To Watch For
Schedule, Watch, Listen
Friday, August 27 at 7:10 pm
Saturday, August 28 at 6:10 pm
Sunday, August 29 at 1:10 pm
- TV broadcast for all 3 games: Bally Sports Florida
- Radio broadcast for all 3 games: 940 AM WINZ, WAQI 710
- Saturday and Sunday’s games are also available on MLB Network for out-of-market fans.
- Wade Miley, Reds starting pitcher on Friday Photo by David Kohl/USA TODAY Sports
- Zach Thompson, Marlins starting pitcher on Friday Photo by Katie Stratman/USA TODAY Sports
- Vladimir Gutierrez, Reds starting pitcher on Saturday Photo by David Kohl/USA TODAY Sports
- Sandy Alcantara, Marlins starting pitcher on Saturday Photo by David Kohl/USA TODAY Sports
- Tyler Mahle, Reds starting pitcher on Sunday Photo by Jeff Hanisch/USA TODAY Sports
- Jesús Luzardo, Marlins starting pitcher on Sunday Photo by Sam Navarro/USA TODAY Sports
Friday: LHP Wade Miley vs. RHP Zach Thompson
- Miley: 2.88 ERA, 1.228 WHIP, 18.7 K%, 33.9 HardHit% in 137.2 IP
- Thompson: 2.97 ERA, 1.092 WHIP, 21.8 K%, 37.5 HardHit% in 57.2 IP
Saturday: RHP Vladimir Gutierrez vs. RHP Sandy Alcantara
- Gutierrez: 3.68 ERA, 1.290 WHIP, 18.7 K%, 37.5 HardHit% in 93.0 IP
- Alcantara: 3.35 ERA, 1.124 WHIP, 22.5 K%, 38.8 HardHit% in 158.1 IP
Sunday: RHP Tyler Mahle vs. LHP Jesús Luzardo
- Mahle: 3.69 ERA, 1.196 WHIP, 28.2 K%, 34.7 HardHit% in 141.1 IP
- Luzardo: 7.91 ERA, 1.823 WHIP, 20.9 K%, 38.0 HardHit% in 60.1 IP
What to watch for on...
Friday: Part 2 against Wade Miley.
- Miley vs. Marlins last weekend: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K.
- While he wasn’t sharp against the Marlins last Saturday, he pitched well enough to help the Reds take their third game of the eventual sweep. Miley takes the mound Friday night for a back-to-back start against the Fish.
Saturday: Sandy Alcantara needs run support.
- Alcantara vs. Reds last weekend: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 11 K.
- Despite Sandy striking out a career-high 11 batters, the Marlins were only able to muster one run against the Reds. That was his eighth loss of the season when allowing three or fewer earned runs. It doesn’t matter how brilliant Sandy (or any starting pitcher) is if the bats are sound asleep.
Sunday: Stop the slide, Jesús Luzardo.
- Luzardo’s five starts as a Marlin: 22.1 IP, 31 H, 24 ER, 17 BB, 20 K, 5 HR.
- Luzardo has been disappointing as a Marlin. Opposing batters are slashing an unbelievable .337/.442/.652 against him He will look to turn it around on Sunday afternoon.
How will this series play out?
This poll is closed
Marlins sweep, 3-0
Marlins win, 2-1
Reds win, 2-1
Reds sweep, 3-0