New Marlins Game Recap
New Fish Stripes Podcasts
- Wednesday’s minor league scores: Triple-A Jacksonville lost, 8-7 (F/10); Double-A Pensacola won, 4-3 (F/13); High-A Beloit lost, 4-2; Low-A Jupiter won, 5-4; FCL Marlins won, 14-3; DSL Marlins lost, 3-0 (F/8). JJ Bleday was the walk-off hero for the Blue Wahoos, raising his OPS over .700 for the first time since mid-June.
- FiveThirtyEight gives the Marlins a 40% chance to win their series opener against the Reds.
- The Marlins issued 24 walks during the Braves series, matching their highest total in any three-game span since the “Miami” rebrand (franchise record in 30, set in 1997).
- MLB Pipeline finally updated their list of Top 100 prospects in baseball, featuring seven Marlins (Kahlil Watson at No. 28, Edward Cabrera at No. 30 Max Meyer at No. 31, Sixto Sánchez at No. 45, Bleday at No. 77, Jake Eder at No. 82 and Jesús Sánchez at No. 91).
- And here’s their new Marlins Top 30. Quite a lot of similarities with my own list, actually. However, they are much higher on Braxton Garrett and Nick Neidert and much lower on Kameron Misner.
- The Miami Herald peppered Kim Ng with questions about key outfield prospects. Following up on their previous reporting, Craig Mish and Barry Jackson specify that the Marlins’ best extension offer to Starling Marte was three years, $36.5 million.
- Fish Stripes Live will get you ready for the four-game Marlins vs. Reds series. Streaming live on our YouTube, Twitter and Twitch accounts from 6:10-7:10 p.m. ET.
- Jim Bowden of The Athletic ranks Marte as the No. 1 outfielder who could be available in free agency this offseason. Since being dealt at the trade deadline, he’s slashing .359/.393/.487 with two home runs, 12 runs batted in and 12 stolen bases in as many attempts.
- Old friend Caleb Smith was ejected from Wednesday’s Diamondbacks game after a foreign substance was found on his glove. He denies any wrongdoing.
- Registration is still open for the Marlins’ Impact Week 5K Run/Walk. Participate virtually from August 23-29.
- The 2022 Marlins spring training schedule is here. After this year’s regionalized “pod” setup, next year’s (tentative!) 30-game exhibition slate represents a return to normalcy with home-and-home series against the Red Sox and Pirates (three-hour drives in both cases).