New Marlins Game Recap
New Farm System Report
New Fish Stripes Podcast
- Monday’s minor league scores: FCL Marlins won, 6-5 (F/7), and won, 4-3 (F/7); DSL Marlins were rained out (game was canceled and will not be made up). Top draft pick Kahlil Watson went 0-for-3 with a walk in four plate appearances during his MiLB debut, scoring two runs.
- FiveThirtyEight gives the Marlins a 47% chance to win their next game against the Braves.
- Baseball America places the Marlins 12th on their updated farm system rankings, offering the following excerpt:
RHP Sixto Sanchez has been sidetracked by injury and RHPs Max Meyer and Edward Cabrera haven’t wowed scouts as much as their impressive seasons would seem to indicate. But the Marlins track record of pitching development bodes well for them to reach their potential and Jake Eder’s emergence has been a nice bonus. Now, the Marlins need to find some impact bats.
- The Twin Towers, left-hander Dax Fulton and right-hander Eury Pérez, will finish out their 2021 season with High-A Beloit, Craig Mish reports. Their otherworldly August numbers in Jupiter showed that these teenagers were ready for a new challenge (18.0 IP, 0 ER, 34 K). They are ranked 11th and 6th, respectively, on my Marlins top prospects list.
- The Miami Herald’s Walter Villa takes us back to Joe Mack’s upbringing in Buffalo, NY, and notes that the talented catcher used wood bats—instead of the traditional aluminum—throughout his high school career.
- This League With Daniel catches up with veteran right-hander Charlie Morton, who’ll be pitching against the Fish on Wednesday.
- On the Fish Bytes podcast, Jordan McPherson talks to two-time Olympic medalist Eddy Alvarez about Tokyo 2020, fatherhood and where his baseball career goes from here.
- Reds All-Star Jesse Winker will be sidelined for the upcoming Marlins series in Cincinnati due to an intercostal strain. That injury also puts his availability for next week’s rematch at LoanDepot Park in doubt.
- Sandy Alcantara (No. 22), Elieser Hernandez (No. 65), Zach Thompson (No. 79), Jesús Luzardo (No. 88) and Braxton Garrett (No. 93) all appear on Pitcher List’s ranking of the Top 100 starting pitchers for fantasy baseball.
- Pablo López is ineligible for The List due to injury, but his recovery from a rotator cuff strain continues to progress. López could make his first minor league rehab start as soon as this weekend, eyeing an early September return to the Marlins rotation.
- Until Joe Panik comes off the COVID related IL, Jorge Alfaro will serve as Miami’s backup first baseman, Don Mattingly says (in addition to occasional catching and left field reps).
- Man On Second Baseball’s Joe Frisaro covers Adam Conley making it back to the majors with the Rays.
- If you missed the premiere Monday night, get caught up on the latest episode of Fish Stripes Live.
- Do you care whether or not the Marlins avoid a last-place finish? Vote here.
- Registration is open for the Marlins’ Impact Week 5K Run/Walk. Participate virtually from August 23-29.
- Subscribe to Bally Sports Florida’s Miami Mic’d Up wherever you get your podcasts. Host Jeremy Taché is dropping the first episode of it this week with a pair of special guests!