After a weekend sweep of the Cubs, the Atlanta Braves come to South Florida as the Miami Marlins’ next opponent. It’s been a while since these two NL East teams have faced off and there’s a lot that’s different. The Braves come to town with a whole new outfield, including former Fish Adam Duvall.
This series preview will give you all the details:
- Schedule, Watch, Listen
- Probable Pitchers
- Recent Lineups
- What To Watch For
Schedule, Watch, Listen
Monday, August 16 at 7:10 pm
Tuesday, August 17 at 7:10 pm
Wednesday, August 18 at 7:10 pm
- TV broadcast for all 3 games: Bally Sports Florida
- Radio broadcast for all 3 games: 940 AM WINZ, WAQI 710
- Touki Toussaint, Braves starting pitcher on Monday Photo by Dale Zanine/USA TODAY Sports
- Braxton Garrett, Marlins starting pitcher on Monday Photo by Orlando Ramirez/USA TODAY Sports
- Huascar Ynoa, Braves starting pitcher on Tuesday Photo by Michael McLoone/USA TODAY Sports
- Sandy Alcantara, Marlins starting pitcher on Tuesday Photo by Orlando Ramirez/USA TODAY Sports
- Charlie Morton, Braves starting pitcher on Wednesday Photo by Brett Davis/USA TODAY Sports
- Jesús Luzardo, Marlins starting pitcher on Wednesday Photo by Jasen Vinlove/USA TODAY Sports
- Toussaint: 4.28 ERA, 1.171 WHIP, 24.1 K%, 50.7 HardHit% in 27.1 IP
- Garrett: 4.65 ERA, 1.710 WHIP, 21.3 K%, 41.1 HardHit% in 31.0 IP
- Ynoa: 3.02 ERA, 1.052 WHIP, 27.9 K%, 48.3 HardHit% in 44.2 IP
- Alcantara: 3.52 ERA, 1.158 WHIP, 21.6 K%, 38.6 HardHit% in 143.1 IP
- Morton: 3.49 ERA, 1.112 WHIP, 28.0 K%, 33.6 HardHit% in 134.0 IP
- Luzardo: 9.20 ERA, 1.909 WHIP, 18.1 K%, 37.0 HardHit% in 14.2 IP
What to watch for on...
Monday: South Florida’s own Touki Toussaint takes the mound for the first-place Braves.
- Toussaint was a 2014 first-round pick out of Coral Springs Christian Academy. In 43 career games for the Braves, he holds a 4.28 ERA and has struck out 135 batters.
- Over his first three seasons, Toussaint’s walk rate was a soaring 14.3%. As Pitcher List’s Matt Wallach noted recently, Toussaint has found success this year in part by decreasing his walk rate. He’s nearly cut that number in half, sitting at 7.8% on the season. Toussaint has also switched out his four-seam fastball in favor of a sinker which has induced more ground balls, as Wallach noted.
Tuesday: Sandy Alcantara is coming off a gem against the Padres.
- Alcantara’s last outing: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K.
- He needed a strong performance after allowing 10 earned runs in less than four innings against the Rockies on August 6. Alcantara has pitched far better at home this year compared to on the road: 2.58 ERA with opponents slashing .195/.250/.305 at home vs. 4.40 ERA and .259/.331/.429 on the road. Look for him to settle in on the LoanDepot Park mound.
Wednesday: Will Adam Duvall continue his dominance against his former teams?
- As a Marlin in 2021, Duvall obliterated his former Braves, slashing .368/.395/.842 for a ridiculous 1.237 OPS. He blasted five long balls and drove in 17 runs.
- The Braves hated facing Duvall. As I mentioned earlier this year, Braves’ manager Brian Snitker called facing Duvall “excruciating.” Will he repay the favor, this time against the Fish?
How will this series play out?
This poll is closed
Marlins sweep, 3-0
Marlins win, 2-1
Braves win, 2-1
Braves sweep, 3-0