New Marlins Game Recap
New Fish Stripes Podcast
- FiveThirtyEight gives the Marlins a 45% chance to win their series opener against the Braves.
- Already the longest-tenured manager in Marlins history, Don Mattingly will become the first in franchise history to work 1,000 games in that role if he sticks around through the end of 2022. Kim Ng announced Thursday that the mutual option in his contract has been exercised (there was a July 15 deadline to do so).
- Garrett Cooper is batting .485 since returning from the injured list on June 25, easily the best mark among MLB qualifiers during that span. Cooper’s overall season stats are looking pretty similar to somebody else you might know.
- In case you missed it, our Marlins MLB Draft super preview includes 77 minutes of prospect analysis.
- Longtime Marlins first baseman Derrek Lee will be the franchise’s in-person representative at the event this Sunday.
- A decade after the Marlins drafted José Fernández with their first-round pick, Peter Gammons speaks to Jeffrey Loria, Juan Nieves, Don Mattingly and others about what made him special.
- FOCO just released a limited edition 2021 Marlins All-Star bobblehead. It has a repeat pattern design with multi-team logo display across the body and bat of seated figure. The figure is seated on a mountain base with forest accents. It’s available for pre-order here.
- Recently retired Marlins vice president of scouting Stan Meek came on the Man on 2nd podcast with tons of draft stories. He says the Fish would’ve selected future Platinum Glove winner Andrelton Simmons with the No. 73 overall pick in 2010 (the Braves nabbed Simmons three picks earlier).
- The Marlins organization was swept on Thursday—the big league team and four MiLB affiliates were collectively outscored 35-15.
- Jake Eder credits the development of a “mental routine” on the mound as a big factor in his stunningly successful first professional season. Eder is expected to pitch in Sunday’s Futures Game at Coors Field. Troy Johnston edged out the lefty for Fish On The Farm’s Prospect of the Month award for June.
- We’ll have another edition of Fish Stripes Live at 6:10 p.m. ET, streaming on the Fish Stripes Twitter, Twitch and YouTube accounts.