At 34-64, the Orioles hold the worst record in the American League, but they’re no pushovers! Fresh off a series sweep against their regional rivals, the Washington Nationals, the O’s are in the midst of their hottest stretch of the season, having won seven of nine games.
This series preview will give you all the details:
- Schedule, Watch, Listen
- Probable Pitchers
- Recent Lineups
- What To Watch For
Schedule, Watch, Listen
Tuesday, July 27 at 7:05 pm
Wednesday, July 28 at 7:05 pm
- TV broadcast for both games: Bally Sports Florida
- Radio broadcast for both games: 940 AM WINZ, WAQI 710
- Alcantara: 3.23 ERA, 1.153 WHIP, 21.3 K%, 37.6 HardHit% in 119.2 IP
- Watkins: 1.65 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 20.0 K%, 26.2 HardHit% in 16.1 IP
Wednesday: MIA TBA vs. Jorge López
- López: 5.84 ERA, 1.617 WHIP, 20.7 K%, 44.6 HardHit% in 94.0 IP
What to watch for on...
Tuesday: Sandy’s Physical/Emotional State
- Sandy Alcantara was placed on the bereavement list July 20 and returned July 25.
- With respect for his privacy, we don’t know—and won’t speculate regarding—whose death led to Alcantara’s absence last week. Reporting by Craig Mish indicates that he traveled to his native Dominican Republic during that time. In total, Alcantara will have had 10 days’ rest in between this start and his previous one against the Phillies. Baseball-Reference shows that the mighty right-hander had 10 days’ rest from July 3-14, 2019, but that’s only because the site does not account for his All-Star Game appearance. So on multiple levels, these are circumstances that Alcantara has never experienced before as a big leaguer. Moreover, the MLB trade deadline is approaching on Friday. Although the odds of Alcantara being dealt should be infinitesimal, we can’t rule anything out during a non-contending season.
Wednesday: No-Run Zone
- Opponents are 1-for-3 when attempting to steal bases against Jorge López this season (20 games).
- The Orioles lead Major League Baseball in stolen base prevention. They’ve allowed the fewest total steals (26) and own—by far—the best caught stealing rate (42.2 CS%). A couple of Miami’s most speedy and aggressive players, Jon Berti and Jazz Chisholm Jr., remain on the injured list, so there might not be many attempts, anyway.
How will this series play out?
This poll is closed
Marlins sweep, 2-0
Tie, 1 win apiece
Orioles sweep, 2-0