New Marlins Game Recap
New Farm System Report
New Fish Stripes Podcasts
- Wednesday’s MiLB scores: Triple-A Jacksonville lost, 7-1 (F/10); Double-A Pensacola won, 7-3; High-A Beloit won, 1-0 (F/11); Low-A Jupiter won, 6-5 (F/11).
- Texas slugger Ivan Melendez, the Marlins 16th-round pick in the MLB Draft, was always going to be a difficult player to sign. Sure enough, Melendez announced that he’ll be returning to school for another year. Bookmark the Fish Stripes draft class signings tracker for further updates as the August 1 signing deadline approaches.
- MLB Pipeline’s way-too-early 2022 MLB mock draft has the Marlins selecting Texas Tech infielder Jace Jung with the No. 7 overall pick.
- Marlins prospects Sixto Sánchez (No. 13), Max Meyer (No. 26), JJ Bleday (No. 58), Edward Cabrera (No. 72), Jesús Sánchez (No. 86) and Jake Eder (No. 100) are all included on Baseball America’s updated Top 100 list. It could be a short stay for Eder, however, with an influx of newly drafted players officially joining the professional ranks in the coming days.
- FanGraphs is much lower on Eder (for now).
- BA’s Josh Norris notes that even when adjusting for age, Griffin Conine’s power-hitting this season has been special. In his first full-season MiLB campaign, Eury Pérez is compiling more strikeouts than any other 18-year-old.
- Right-hander Tanner Andrews announced that he underwent Tommy John surgery on July 7, ending his 2021 campaign and putting most or all of 2022 in doubt. The 2018 draft pick has a career 3.78 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 144 K in 164.1 IP in the minor leagues. We wish him a full recovery!
- The Man on 2nd podcast breaks down the Marlins’ latest nosedive.
- Check out Fish Stripes Live on our Twitter/Twitch/YouTube accounts from 6:10-7:10 p.m. counting down to first pitch of the series opener against the Padres.
- Eddy Alvarez will be the male flag bearer for Team USA during Friday’s opening ceremony at the Tokyo Olympics. As you know by now, Alvarez competed in speedskating at the Sochi Games in 2014 and won a silver medal. This time around, he’ll be the primary second baseman for the USA baseball team.
In collaboration with MLB.com’s Christina De Nicola, Alvarez will be chronicling his journey in The Olympic Diaries.
- The upcoming Padres series at LoanDepot Park features Colombian Heritage (Saturday) and Jewish Heritage (Sunday) celebrations. There’s also a new partnership with CHEQ that will allow fans to order food from their phones to avoid standing on long lines at concession stands.