After a weekend full of wild weather in Philadelphia, the Miami Marlins begin a three-game series against the Washington Nationals. Manager Don Mattingly announced that it will be a bullpen game Monday on Monday. Trevor Rogers and Sandy Alcantara are to follow on Tuesday and Wednesday.
In this series preview, you’ll get all the details:
- Schedule, Watch, Listen
- Probable Pitchers
- Recent Lineups
- What To Watch For
Update: Sandy Alcantara was placed on the bereavement list prior to Tuesday’s game and will not make his scheduled start on Wednesday. Sending good thoughts to Sandy and his family.
Schedule, Watch, Listen
Monday, July 19 at 7:05 pm
Tuesday, July 20 at 7:05 pm
Wednesday, July 21 at 7:05 pm
- TV broadcast for all 3 games: Bally Sports Florida
- Radio broadcast for all 3 games: 940 AM WINZ, WAQI 710
- Ross Detwiler, Marlins starting pitcher on Monday Photo by Bill Streicher/USA TODAY Sports
- Jon Lester, National starting pitcher on Monday Photo by Orlando Ramirez/USA TODAY Sports
- Trevor Rogers, Marlins starting pitcher on Tuesday Photo by Mark J. Rebilas/USA TODAY Sports
- Paolo Espino, Nationals starting pitcher on Tuesday Photo by Scott Taetsch/USA TODAY Sports
- Sandy Alcantara, Marlins starting pitcher on Wednesday Photo by Jasen Vinlove/USA TODAY Sports
- Erick Fedde, Nationals starting pitcher on Wednesday Photo by Orlando Ramirez/USA TODAY Sports
- Detwiler: 4.19 ERA, 1.223 WHIP, 27.5 K%, 32.6 HardHit% in 34.1 IP
- Lester: 5.54 ERA, 1.737 WHIP, 14.1 K%, 39.4 HardHit% in 63.1 IP
- Rogers: 2.31 ERA, 1.066 WHIP, 30.0 K%, 37.2 HardHit% in 101.1 IP
- Espino: 3.33 ERA, 1.065 WHIP, 16.6 K%, 42.9 HardHit% in 46.0 IP
- Alcantara: 3.23 ERA, 1.153 WHIP, 21.3 K%, 37.6 HardHit% in 119.2 IP
- Fedde: 5.32 ERA, 1.439 WHIP, 20.8 K%, 39.5 HardHit% in 66.0 IP
What to watch for on...
Monday: Red hot Juan Soto.
- Soto doesn’t believe in the Home Run Derby curse. In fact, he believed it would help fix his swing.
Juan Soto on if the HR Derby helped his swing: “You can tell.” He said during the derby, he was focused more on his swing than hitting homers and the swing has felt good— Maria Torres (@maria_torres3) July 18, 2021
- In the three games since the All-Star Break, Soto has gone 7-for-13 with one double and three home runs. He’s driven in six runs, walked twice, and struck out three times. A hot bat in Childish Bambino’s hands is great for the Nationals and baseball fans everywhere, just not for opposing pitchers.
Tuesday: Welcome back All-Star Trevor Rogers.
- Rogers in All-Star Game: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K.
- It’s been a rough week for the Marlins that has been full of injuries and the disappointment of the inability to reach an extension with centerfielder Starling Marte. The one bright spot? Watching Rogers pitch every few days. Don’t miss out on this week’s bit of excitement.
Wednesday: Can Sandy Alcantara bounce back?
- Alcantara’s last outing (July 16 vs. Phillies): 3.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K.
- He hasn’t looked sharp recently and it’s been frustrating. Over his last four starts, Alcantara’s ERA is nearing 5.00 with opposing batters collecting a .778 OPS. In his most recent start against the Nationals, he went 5.1 innings and allowed 4 earned runs. Let’s hope he can get it together on Wednesday night.
How will this series play out?
This poll is closed
Marlins sweep, 3-0
Marlins win, 2-1
Nationals win, 2-1
Nationals sweep, 3-0