New Marlins Game Recaps
New Farm System Report
New Fish Stripes Podcast
- Sunday’s MiLB scores: Jacksonville lost, 6-3; Pensacola lost, 3-1; Beloit won, 5-4; Jupiter won, 8-2.
- “Fish are expected to be very active” during the 11 days leading up to the MLB trade deadline, Jon Heyman reports. The Marlins’ final contract extension offer to Starling Marte included more than $30 million guaranteed, per Heyman, but that didn’t come close to his asking price, according to Craig Mish. “Miami now can move forward with trade proposals.”
- Hundreds of players selected in last week’s MLB Draft have officially signed their professional contracts. That includes at least seven Marlins picks, as we’ll be tracking here.
- Congrats to power-hitting outfielder Griffin Conine on his promotion to Double-A.
- Just Baseball (correctly) identifies Garrett Cooper as an underrated player. Unfortunately, Cooper (elbow) and Jazz Chisholm Jr. (shoulder) are candidates to be placed on the injured list following painful plays in Sunday’s game. There’s more concern for the latter. Meanwhile in Jacksonville, Lewin Díaz also hurt himself and had to be removed from his game early.
- The first-place Mets had their own awful weekend on the injury front with the losses of Francisco Lindor (oblique strain) and Jacob deGrom (forearm tightness) to the IL.
- Trevor Rogers showed Pitching Ninja how he grips his nasty changeup.
- Check out Fish Stripes Live on our Twitter/Twitch/YouTube accounts from 6:05-7:05 p.m. counting down to first pitch of the series opener against the Nationals.
- Adopt A Minor Leaguer has started a “Burritos for Beloit” fundraiser to distribute Chipotle gift cards to all members of the Marlins’ Beloit affiliate and their opponent at an upcoming game. Please help them reach their $1,200 goal!
- A reminder that we recently tweaked the Fish Picks scoring system—rather than awarding the monthly title to those with the most total correct picks, winners will be determined by highest percentage of correct picks (must pick at least half of all Marlins games in a given month to qualify). Check out the updated leaderboard.
- Last week, 75% of Marlins fans said they’re confident in the direction of the franchise. I project that number to dip considerably following the next survey.
- Stranded Sports remembers the shockingly great 2007 season that Lee Gardner had out of the Marlins bullpen.
- Team photographer Joseph Guzy recently updated his Marlins In Focus blog with beautiful pics from the first half of the season. A small taste of his work is embedded below.