New Marlins Game Recap
New Fish Stripes Podcasts
- There are still two full days of the MLB Draft remaining, but most of the Marlins’ hopes and bonus pool money will go to Sunday’s super-talented prep picks, shortstop Kahlil Watson and catcher Joe Mack.
- “Watson should not have lasted this long,” Baseball America writes. “It’s a dream scenario for the Marlins, who get a potentially huge steal in the middle of the first round.” From Keith Law of The Athletic: “On the heels of what already looks like a great 2020 draft, things are looking up in Miami.”
- The Watson family draft party looked like a ton of fun. Here is the 18-year-old’s first interview once he got a chance to digest the news.
- Watch Pablo López strike out all nine members of the Braves starting lineup the first time through the lineup, something that had never been done in modern MLB history!
- I updated our Marlins inside-the-parker page to include Jazz Chisholm Jr.’s feat on Saturday, which was the 20th in franchise history.
- In case you missed it, FOCO just released a limited edition 2021 Marlins All-Star bobblehead. It has a repeat pattern design with multi-team logo display across the body and bat of seated figure. The figure is seated on a mountain base with forest accents. It’s available for pre-order here.
- The Marlins go into the break with a positive run differential yet they’re tied for MLB’s sixth-worst winning percentage.
- Jake Eder and Max Meyer threw only seven pitches apiece in the Futures Game, but that was enough to show glimpses of their great potential.
- Meyer ranks 17th on the Baseball Prospectus midseason Top 50 prospects list. Edward Cabrera is 33rd on the list.
- After a very successful run in indy ball, right-hander Matt Pobereyko has been acquired by the Marlins. The 29-year-old will presumably report to Triple-A Jacksonville in the coming days.
- On this day in 2016, José Fernández made his second (and final) All-Star Game appearance.
- Congrats to Tommy Hutton on the birth of his granddaughter, Palmer.
- Our condolences to former Fish outfielder Corey Dickerson on the passing of his father.