New Marlins Game Recap
New Fish Stripes Podcast
- Sunday’s home runs in the Marlins organization: Cameron Barstad (3), Griffin Conine (13) and Jhon Nuñez (2).
- Mariners LHP Hector Santiago got caught with a foreign substance on his glove and was ejected from Sunday’s game. Santiago insists that it was only rosin.
- No Marlins position players are finalists to start the MLB All-Star Game. It’s unlikely that any of them make the team as a reserve, either.
- The Marlins do not expect to deal any controllable starting pitchers at the trade deadline, Joe Frisaro reports.
- “The Marlins have plenty of complementary veterans and quality relievers who could help contenders down the stretch,” writes Anthony Franco of MLB Trade Rumors.
- Jack Stern of Pitcher List is confident that there will be a market for Ross Detwiler, who has quietly thrived in a variety of roles this season (albeit usually in low-leverage situations).
- New in our prospects coverage section, Hector Rodriguez profiles draft prospect Spencer Schwellenbach while I wonder how concerned the Marlins should be about JJ Bleday’s inconsistent hitting at Double-A this season.
- Get your “Thicc Jesus” Jesús Aguilar merch from Takes Were Made.
- Tuesday is the season opener for the Florida Complex League (previously known as the Gulf Coast League). Miami’s top international free agent signee INF Yiddi Cappe will be making his official Minor League Baseball debut.
- Former Marlins first-round draft pick Josh Naylor suffered a gruesome right leg/ankle injury on Sunday. The Indians right fielder owns a .253/.301/.399 slash line (90 wRC+) with seven home runs this season. Fish Stripes wishes him a full recovery.
- It’s time for another edition of MLB Reacts. Sign up here to get the survey emailed to you.
- I completed a long-overdue update to this list of Marlins player Instagram accounts. Don’t miss Anthony Bass’ good dad content!
- Danis Sosa (@dsosaphotography) took these excellent photos from Saturday’s win over the Nationals.