New Marlins Game Recap
New Fish Stripes Podcast
- Vote your favorite Marlins position players to the 2021 MLB All-Star Game.
- FiveThirtyEight gives the Marlins a 47% chance to win their series opener against the Braves.
- Starling Marte owns a higher batting average (.360) and on-base percentage (.454) than any qualified MLB hitter this season (though Marte doesn’t have enough plate appearances to qualify himself).
- Jazz Chisholm Jr. mashed the longest home run of the year at LoanDepot Park, the latest evidence of his special potential.
- Miguel Rojas took batting practice on the field on Thursday, putting him on track to rejoin the Marlins active roster for the next homestand, if not earlier.
- John Curtiss is quietly showing elite control and using his slider unconventionally.
- Juan Páez covers the run support (or lack thereof) that Pablo López receives, while MLB’s Christina De Nicola quantifies his improving curveball.
- The latest Prospects Live MLB mock draft matches the Marlins with Sam Houston State outfielder Colton Cowser. MLB Pipeline’s mock has them taking prep catcher Harry Ford.
- Our Marlins roster tracker is updated to reflect a bunch of recent MiLB promotions.
- Single-game tickets for all remaining Marlins home games are now on sale. COVID-related capacity restrictions will be lifted beginning July 5.
- The Miami Herald advocates for Tommy Hutton to split the television color commentary workload with Todd Hollandsworth.
- On September 8, there will be an actual crowd for Derek Jeter’s Baseball Hall of Fame induction (after initial plans for a fan-less event due to COVID-19 concerns).
- What if the Jazz Chisholm Jr.-Zac Gallen challenge trade never happened?
- Final call for those interested in Biscayne Bay Brewery’s Marlins-themed hats.
- Based on a USBets survey, the Marlins fanbase ranks sixth across Major League Baseball in physical fitness.
- This is the script that Kim Ng should use when reaching out to other teams about potential trade deadline activity, according to Kevin Goldstein of FanGraphs:
“We don’t have the biggest names available, but we have a lot of players on the table, and might be your best option for a package deal that addresses multiple concerns. Keep in mind that we are already down the road on some of these players with teams, so if you want to get in, you might not want to wait until next month. Starling Marte is our best player as well as our best performer this year and will be the one we are looking to get the greatest return for. In terms of outfielders, Corey Dickerson hasn’t had a great year, but he has a track record of hitting and could be the lefty bat you are looking for. We’re getting a lot of calls on Jesús Aguilar; he’s a good power source and great guy to have in the clubhouse. Miguel Rojas can be a solid everyday shortstop or downright outstanding utility player for the right team. And while he’s obviously not a guy who is going to give you a lot of offense, Sandy León is a veteran catcher who knows how to fold up back there in the playoff setting. We’re holding on to our young starters, but in terms of ‘pen arms, Yimi García has been really good for us in a closer role and could set up for most playoff teams. On a smaller scale, Ross Detwiler can provide some lefty depth. It’s an expansive menu and we’re all ears.”
- Thursday marked 30 years since Major League Baseball awarded South Florida an expansion franchise.