New Marlins Game Recap
New Marlins Podcast
- Longtime minor league infielder Luis Marte has finally made it to The Show. The transaction is not official yet, but Miguel Rojas is expected to be placed on the 10-day injured list with a dislocated finger.
- Rojas sustained the injury when diving back to first base on a successful pickoff attempt. It’s the ninth time this season that a Marlins baserunner has been picked off, which leads all MLB teams. The Fish were picked off eight times in 2020 (second-highest total in the league).
- Starling Marte—no relation to Luis—could be reinstated from the IL any day now. The Marlins will return the veteran center fielder from his rehab assignment after just two games (0-for-6, 1 K).
- MLB.com’s Christina De Nicola spotted Jazz Chisholm Jr. doing fielding drills on Wednesday and light jogging on Thursday. There’s still no definitive word on whether he’ll be avoiding an IL stint, though these are encouraging signs.
- All of the above topics and more are covered in Thursday’s episode of The Offishial Show.
- Speaking of dislocated fingers, old friend Marcell Ozuna expects to miss six weeks of action. That clearly rules Ozuna out of the next Marlins vs. Braves series on June 11-13 in Miami, and even puts the matchup after that in jeopardy (July 2-4 in Atlanta).
- Things are going better for Harold Ramirez, who has worked his way into a semi-regular outfield role with Cleveland.
- New 2021 MLB mock drafts from MLB Pipeline and The Athletic match up the Marlins with prep prospects Harry Ford and Bubba Chandler, respectively. Our own Ethan Budowsky prefers University of Florida star Jud Fabian with the No. 16 overall pick (he’s admittedly biased as a fellow Gator).
- The Marlins have downsized their scouting department since 2019, though not nearly as much as some other organizations.
- Jorge Alfaro joined Brett Hayes as the only players who have been used at catcher, left field and right field during their Marlins careers.
- Photos of Pablo López (and Bailey Srebnik) through the years:
- Nicole Cahill has more on Pablo’s emergence into a top-of-the-rotation arm.
- Thanks to Jackson Robol for inviting me onto his show!
- With the final Marlins series of May approaching, check to see where you rank on the Fish Picks prop bets contest leaderboard (free to play and the prizes are real).
- One last plug for FOCO’s Jesús Aguilar Marlins City Connect bobblehead. Limited inventory!