The Miami Marlins face off against the San Francisco Giants tonight for the start of a quick 6-day homestand. They’ll face the Giants for 3 games at LoanDepot Park this weekend and then head to San Francisco’s Oracle Park later next week. In this series preview, you’ll get all the details:
- Schedule, Watch, Listen
- Probable Pitchers
- Recent Lineups
- What To Watch For
Schedule, Watch, Listen
Friday, April 16 at 7:10 pm
Saturday, April 17 at 6:10 pm
Sunday, April 18 at 1:10 pm
- TV broadcast for all 3 games: Bally Sports Florida
- Radio broadcast for all 3 games: 940 AM WINZ, WAQI 710
- DeSclafani: 0.82 ERA, 1.273 WHIP, 25.0 K%, 50.0 HardHit% in 11.0 IP
- Castano (2020): 3.03 ERA, 1.382 WHIP, 9.5 K%, 38.6 HardHit% in 29.2 IP
- Sanchez: 2.70 ERA, 1.000 WHIP, 17.5 K%, 38.7 HardHit% in 10.0 IP
- Alcantara: 2.45 ERA, 0.927 WHIP, 28.0 K%, 40.0 HardHit% in 18.1 IP
- Wood (2020): 6.39 ERA, 1.816 WHIP, 23.1 K%, 26.8 HardHit% in 12.2 IP
- López: 4.60 ERA, 1.213 WHIP, 25.0 K%, 37.2 HardHit% in 15.2 IP
Please note that both the Giants and Marlins lineups listed here are by default the projections vs. RHP. The columns to the right with a red header are past lineups vs. LHP. Similarly, the columns to the right with a blue header are past lineups vs. RHP.
What to watch for on...
Friday: Daniel Castano makes his 2021 season debut.
- Castano’s 2021 Spring Training results: 15.0 IP, 16 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 14 K (5 appearances)
- He was recalled from the alternate site last Sunday and was expected to pitch once the rain let up, but it never did. The game was postponed and Castano did not get an opportunity to pitch, so Friday’s game versus the Giants will be the first time he takes the mound in 2021. Don’t expect Castano to blow batters away. His fastball sits at 89 MPH and he doesn’t get batters to chase often.
Saturday: Sandy Alcantara vs. the Giants offense
- The Giants team batting totals rank toward the bottom of the league so far this season, but they are just starting to heat up.
- In the past two games, the Giants scored a total of 10 runs. Before those two games, they had scored just 31 runs in 10 games. One thing they are doing well is hitting a lot of home runs, especially from their veterans. Evan Longoria has four, Brandon Crawford has three, and Buster Posey, Alex Dickerson, and Mike Yastrzemski each have two. Alcantara has pitched well through his first three starts and he has not yet given up a home run.
Sunday: Alex Wood makes his 2021 season debut.
- Wood began the 2021 season on the injured list with lower back stiffness.
- He’s far from his All-Star self that posted the best Win-Loss percentage in the National League with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2017. He collected 16 wins and held a 2.72 ERA, good enough to collect a few votes on the NL Cy Young Award ballot. Wood missed almost the entire 2019 season with a back injury, so in the 48.1 innings he’s thrown in the past two seasons, he’s 1-4 with a 5.96 ERA.
How will this series play out?
This poll is closed
Marlins sweep, 3-0
Marlins win, 2-1
Giants win, 2-1
Giants sweep, 3-0