Monday’s game preview
Fish Stripes game threads are making their 2021 debut on Monday for Sixto Sánchez’s start against the Astros. Held out of spring training games two years ago as an injury precaution and again last year due to poor conditioning, this will be Sánchez first-ever Grapefruit League appearance! The Dominican right-hander threw 26 pitches in his recent live batting practice session. He’s expected to stretch out to a slightly higher total in this matchup (likely two full innings).
José Urquidy is Houston’s probable starter. His first pitch at The Ballpark of the Palm Beaches is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. ET.
Listen to The Offishial Show for my additional thoughts on Sixto’s talent and the areas where he still needs improvement.
- It’s bracket season. Join our Tournament Challenge group on ESPN with your picks for the men’s NCAA basketball championship. Grand prize for the best bracket still to be determined.
- Leading Off comes to Marlins Park this Saturday.
- I’m thrilled to introduce SimBull, “the stock market for sports,” as the new sponsor of the Fish Stripes podcast. Whether you want to invest in the Marlins’ future or any other MLB/NFL/NBA franchise, use the promo code fishstripes when you make your first deposit to receive a $10 bonus.
- MLB.com’s Christina De Nicola checks in on what goals Sandy Alcantara, Pablo López and Elieser Hernandez have set for themselves this spring and if there have been tangible signs of progress in each case.
Even from this camera angle, you can see the freaky-good movement on Elieser Hernandez's slider.— Fish Stripes (@fishstripes) March 14, 2021
Leads all Marlins pitchers with 12 strikeouts this spring. pic.twitter.com/MGArsIDNzz
- “Stay out of last place” in the NL East and the Fish will have exceeded expectations, according to MLB.com colleague Will Leitch.
- Our 2021 Marlins Season Preview is shifting into top gear. Upcoming player articles include Yimi García, Ross Detwiler, Lewin Díaz and Trevor Rogers, and look out for some bold predictions this Thursday.
- Juan Páez feels that non-roster invitee Anthony Bender could factor into Miami’s bullpen plans sooner rather than later.
- Friend of Fish Stripes Zack Raab found unique memorabilia available for purchase through Major League Alumni for Marlins players including Starling Marte and Lewis Brinson.
- Trevor Bauer got himself a warning from old friend Michael Hill, who is now Major League Baseball’s senior VP of on-field operations.
- The beauty of video games: watch Don Mattingly the manager vs. Don Mattingly the player.
- Check out the new episode of The Chris Rose Rotation on the Jomboy Media Network, co-hosted by Miguel Rojas.
- Last week’s Gamechangers virtual panel, featuring Marlins executives Kim Ng and Caroline O’Connor, is now available to everybody on YouTube.