Sunday at 1:05 p.m. ET, Astros right-hander Brandon Bielak is scheduled to take the mound at The Ballpark of the Palm Beaches and throw his first pitch to the Marlins lineup, marking the start of their 2021 spring training exhibition season. Daniel Castano gets the start for the Fish, to be followed by Nick Neidert after two innings of work. Houston hitters they’ll be facing include Myles Straw, José Altuve, Kyle Tucker, Aledmys Díaz, Jason Castro and Abraham Toro. I can’t wait.
Here are Marlins-related links to get you in the spirit:
- My longest article of the year thus far details why the Marlins deserve a C+ grade for their offseason activities.
- There is the potential for more to be added in the coming days, but currently, six Marlins Grapefruit League games will be viewable on MLB.TV (Mar. 2, Mar. 18 and Mar. 27 vs. Cardinals; Mar. 7, Mar. 12 and Mar. 23 vs. Mets). Fish Stripes will have reporters attending many of the other games to provide some visuals.
- Due to popular demand, Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium is now offering mini-suites for spring games (most other tickets are sold out).
- Can you recognize new Marlins players like Anthony Bass, Dylan Floro and Zach Pop? Take the quiz here.
- Corey Dickerson reflects on the personal challenges of his 2020 season. It’s not hard to envision some sort of rebound from him as our society gradually eases back normalcy.
- Lots of good content from Joe Frisaro added this week to his Man On Second Baseball site. He explains why Will Banfield is being underrated on Marlins top prospect lists and reminisces about a 2014 José Fernández/Carlos Martínez spring pitchers’ duel.
- We have already turned third base of the All-Time Marlins Countdown, with 133 of the 165 chapters now published.
- In his latest The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz local hour appearance, David Samson took cheapshots at Chris Aguila and other “Quad-A” players, lamented that Chris Volstad and Jeremy Hermida squandered their potential because they were too arrogant to be coached, and takes us through how the Marlins reacted to Ozzie Guillen’s infamous Fidel Castro comments.
- Saturday at 7:30 p.m. ET, Monte Harrison will be taking over the MLB Instagram account for a live hangout with Chicago Bulls All-Star Zach LaVine.
- Alejandro Areces has been teasing a “branding identity recharge” for the Low-A Jupiter Hammerheads. So far, so good!
Hey #MarlinsTwitter, I've been working on a branding identity recharge for the Marlins Single-A Affiliate, Jupiter Hammerheads.— Alejandro Areces (@arecesalejandro) February 24, 2021
Here's a sneak peak at the new primary team wordmark. Soon I'll unviel an entirely new color palette, updated Hammy the Hammerhead & redesigned icons. pic.twitter.com/2MDTNKNk9l