- Old Friends Austin Barnes and Alex Vesia are advancing deeper into the postseason after the Dodgers’ 3-1 NL Wild Card Game win over the Cardinals (neither Barnes or Vesia actually played in the game).
- News of the Marlins’ coaching/development staffing changes has begun to trickle out. Major league athletic trainers Gene Basham, Brad LaRosa and Chris Mudd are not being renewed for 2022, per Craig Mish. More surprisingly, Andy Slater reports the dismissal of Mike Jacobs, the former player who had been steadily climbing the MiLB managerial ranks.
- Across the league, the Padres fired Jayce Tingler, just a year after he finished runner-up to Don Mattingly in NL Manager of the Year voting.
- The Marlins are sending pitchers Justin Evans, Evan Fitterer, Josh Simpson and Jefry Yan and position players Will Banfield, JJ Bleday, Troy Johnston and Kameron Misner to the Arizona Fall League. Bleday, Misner, Johnston and Fitterer all rank among my Top 30 prospects in the organization. Here is the full Mesa Solar Sox roster.
- Baseball America identifies Bleday among 10 AFL players trying to regain/reinforce their stock.
- MLB Pipeline notes that Fitterer’s injury absence during the regular season was due to back issues.
- I set up a Marlins offseason roster tracker! It will be updated to reflect all 40-man roster activity as well as international winter ball assignments.
- September/October Marlin of the Month award voting will remain open through Friday at noon ET.
Who gets your vote for Marlin of the Month in September/October 2021?
This poll is closed
- Give us your grade for Kim Ng’s first year as general manager.
- Jim Callis of MLB Pipeline ranks 2021 rookies by their long-term value, including Trevor Rogers (7th), Jazz Chisholm Jr. (20th) and Jesús Sánchez (28th).
- Pitcher List’s way-too-early list of top starting pitchers for the 2022 season has Sandy Alcantara at No. 8, Pablo López at No. 28, Rogers at No. 37, Sixto Sánchez at No. 56, Jesús Luzardo at No. 74, Elieser Hernandez at No. 82, Edward Cabrera at No. 128 and Zach Thompson at No. 156.
- The University of Miami Health System Pediatric Mobile Clinic is providing medical care to children in need from neighboring communities beginning today at LoanDepot Park. You may call 305-243-6407 or visit www.pediatricmobileclinic.com to schedule an appointment.
- We have partnered with the LetsGoFish Discord server. Chat all things Marlins-related with us over there!