Rays series preview
After being convincingly swept by the Rays in Miami last weekend, the Marlins have made the quick trip up to St. Petersburg seeking revenge.
Probable starters: Friday—RHP Pablo López (2.10 ERA, 2.26 FIP in 34.1 IP) vs. LHP Josh Fleming (1.74 ERA, 3.23 FIP in 10.1 IP); Saturday—RHP Sandy Alcantara (5.06 ERA, 6.51 FIP in 10.2 IP) vs. LHP Blake Snell (3.14 ERA, 4.67 FIP in 28.2 IP); Sunday—TBD vs. RHP Tyler Glasnow (4.24 ERA, 3.02 FIP in 34.0 IP)
X-factors: Jorge Alfaro has been impotent at the plate since making his long-awaited season debut two weeks ago. His lack of production against left-handed pitching so far (.154/.154/.154, 7 K in 13 PA) is especially frustrating for a Marlins team that’s getting embarrassed in those matchups. A few extra-base hits from him could swing the series, while more non-competitive at-bats will force the Fish to expand Chad Wallach’s role down the stretch. Old friend Nick Anderson might be activated from the injured list after suffering a minor forearm strain. He’s been inarguably one of the best relievers in baseball since the trade.
No off day for Miggy Ro
On Thursday, shortstop Miguel Rojas was announced as the Marlins nominee for the 2020 Roberto Clemente Award. The award is given annually to the player who best represents the game through “extraordinary character, community involvement, philanthropy and positive contributions, both on and off the field.” Former Fish Giancarlo Stanton (Yankees), Dee Strange-Gordon (Mariners) and Brad Hand (Indians) are also 2020 nominees. Martín Prado was nominated for Miami each of the previous two years.
A huge shoe aficionado, Rojas has landed a dream sponsorship with Stadium Custom Kicks. They’ll be customizing special cleats for him to use every game, then making them available for purchase online.
View this post on Instagram
We’re extremely excited to announce the signing of Miami shortstop Miguel Rojas. Miguel will be rocking our custom sneakers + cleats throughout the season, and that same footwear will be available for purchase on our website. Stay tuned to @miggyslocker and @stadiumcustomkicks for some drops over the next few weeks. #StadiumCustomKicks #MiggysLocker
A few examples:
Follow along at @miggyslocker on Instagram.
- Current 2020 Marlins playoff odds according to FanGraphs: 27.1%.
- I continue to tinker with the Fish Picks prizes—the overall season points leader will now have a choice between the Air Rojas t-shirt and the brand new Marlings one as their grand prize.
- Brett Eibner and Brian Navarreto are back at the alternate training site in Jupiter after clearing waivers, but unfortunately, Jesús Tinoco was scooped by his original team, the Colorado Rockies. Adam Conley remains in DFA limbo (should be resolved by the end of the weekend).
- Thank you to Glenn Geffner of Marlins Radio for joining Tyler Wilson on our podcast! Glenn recorded another conversation with Fish Across The Pond as well.
- MLB Pipeline unsurprisingly selects the Marlins as having MLB’s most improved farm system since the start of 2019. The past two draft classes are largely responsible for that.
- The franchise has made a $30,000 donation to Miami Dade College to establish a scholarship for first-generation college students.
- Former Marlins president David Samson is on Cameo. Only $45 a pop!
- Just as exciting as any of Sixto’s filthy pitches in Wednesday’s game, I was overjoyed to see Marlins Twitter’s favorite artist get featured on the FOX Sports Florida broadcast. Contact Emily for custom drawings!