A regular season series with massive playoff implications, the Marlins-Phillies Championship Series began Thursday night. The first 85% of the opening game was infuriating for the Fish, characterized by lazy defense and poor situational hitting. They seemed determined to drop below .500.
But Corey Dickerson, Starling Marte and Jorge Alfaro came up with the critical two-out hits in the bottom of the eighth and ninth to finish off the exhilarating comeback. Zach Letson has more.
You won’t see many Dickerson highlights playing on a loop the day after, but I’d like to shout him out specifically. An underachiever for most of the 2020 season, he set the table for the first Marlins run of the game with a leadoff walk and extended the rally for Marte in the eighth with a line drive single. They would not have pulled this off without him.
One game down, six more to go! Friday’s doubleheader begins with a matchup between Phillies ace Aaron Nola (2.74 ERA, 3.36 FIP in 49.1 IP) and impressive Miami rookie Trevor Rogers (3.00 ERA, 4.58 FIP in 15.0 IP). Aram Leighton is fascinated with the latter, breaking him down on the Locked On Marlins podcast and again here on Fish Stripes.
Thursday gave us major professional and college football games where (socially distanced) paying fans were welcomed into the stadiums. That is emboldening Major League Baseball teams to pursue 2021 ticket sales, confident that they’ll be able to provide some sort of in-person entertainment regardless of whether a COVID-19 vaccine is widely available next spring.
“In a town full of entertainment options, we are proud to offer market-leading member benefits and showcase affordable access to a re-imagined and world-class fan experience inside Marlins Park to go with an exciting product on the field,” Chief Revenue Officer Adam Jones says.
You have until Sept. 21 to take advantage of special early incentives by enrolling for a membership.
- Current 2020 Marlins playoff odds according to FanGraphs: 46.5%.
- Miguel Rojas has been (very deservedly) nominated for the Roberto Clemente Award. Vote for him!
- Starling continues to be an incredible fit for this Marlins squad. Rojas is the ultimate clubhouse leader and role model. Support them (and the Fish Stripes staff) by purchasing the Air Rojas t-shirt and Marlings t-shirts from our partners at BreakingT.
- Old friend Caleb Smith makes his Diamondbacks debut against the Mariners on Friday, allowing him to start 3-4 times for them heading into the offseason. I genuinely wish him great success over there.
- Subscribe to the Jazz “Prince” Chisholm podcast on Apple, Spotify or wherever you get your pods. Also keep your eyes out for a new episode of “The Clubhouse” this afternoon on the Marlins YouTube channel.
- Former team president David Samson explains why “The Decision” LeBron James made to come to the Miami Heat on July 8, 2010 was the worst day of his Marlins career (19-minute mark)
- It’s 9/11 Remembrance Day, which inspired @MarlinsHistory to create these wallpapers for your phone and desktop.