One day closer to baseball and the Marlins are in full Spring Training mode, but at Marlins Park. Here’s a little BA BP to remind you what we’re looking forward to.
#Marlins 3B Brian Anderson taking BP off the machine pic.twitter.com/duB1tDKLos— Hector Rodriguez (@Hector_Baseball) July 8, 2020
- The Marlins will have a full-on scrimmage today, with Caleb Smith facing Sandy Alcantara in a battle to be the Opening Day starter.
- Monte Harrison looks likely to make the roster from the git-go.
Based on Mattingly’s glowing comments on Monte’ Harrison it would be my opinion he is making the club. Basically said missing players are irrelevant to the discussion he just looks good.— Craig Mish (@CraigMish) July 8, 2020
- Will Banfield will head to the 10-day injured list with an “unspecified injury”. Brandon Kintzler spoke to the media about his role on the team and experience in MLB.
- The lineup continues to take shape: it looks like Jonathan Villar will play more infield and bat near the top of the order. He’ll still likely get time in center and at DH, but Harrison, Harold Ramirez, Jon Berti and Lewis Brinson seem to be the main options in center at present, while Garrett Cooper is the front-runner for DH at-bats.
- We’ll walk you off with this Isan Diaz base knock:
Second baseman Isan Diaz lines one up the middle for a base knock pic.twitter.com/M55SHTlc7F— Hector Rodriguez (@Hector_Baseball) July 8, 2020