- The world got its first glimpse of the Marlins’ top pick from the 2020 draft, as Max Meyer threw his first bullpen at training camp on Tuesday.
Max Meyer says what's up. pic.twitter.com/w3UofO16rT— Miami Marlins (@Marlins) July 7, 2020
Afterwards, Meyer spoke about how it felt to get back on the diamond and suit up for the first time as a Marlin.
- MLB released schedules for all 30 teams Monday, and we broke it down for you. The Fish open the season July 24 with a three-game set in Philadelphia. It won’t get easier from there:
The Marlins will play 86.7% of their games (52 of 60) against teams that were .500 or better last season.— Sarah Langs (@SlangsOnSports) July 7, 2020
That’s the highest pct of games vs .500+ teams from the prior season in the Divisional Era (since 1969).
Previous highest: 1970 Padres, 85.2%
- That’s not daunting the Fish, however. Manager Don Mattingly appeared on the team’s YouTube channel and talked about the their “Why Not Us?” mentality heading into the season, the need to get off to a hot start, and how they’re handling COVID-19.
- We’ve got our own discussion of what lies ahead for the team on our Marlins BBQ podcast, as well as some training camp footage from inside Marlins Park.
"You know what, I'm gonna invest in this team."— Fish Stripes (@fishstripes) July 7, 2020
New Marlins leadership is finally winning over some of the most frustrated fans.https://t.co/Io2O6ZjM1M pic.twitter.com/m5mZp4esox
- We’ll walk ya off today with another installment of the Rivals Season Preview series, this time with the New York Mets.
- Tuesday’s Zoom call with the media featured several of the team’s top prospects. In addition to Meyer, JJ Bleday, Jerar Encarnación and Jorge Guzman each made appearances.
- And also on Tuesday, former Marlins prospects Dustin Beggs (5.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K) and McKenzie Mills (1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K) debuted in the American Association.