MLBPA makes counter offer to owners
Major League Baseball took a tiny step forward on Sunday as the players’ union proposed their preferred conditions for the 2020 season. Per ESPN’s Jeff Passan, they are advocating for a 114-game schedule which would run from June 30-Oct. 31; MLB’s proposal last week called for only 82 games and a desire to have the regular season completed before October. The playoff field would be expanded from 10 to 14 teams.
There’s also a concession that the players would have their salaries deferred if a second wave of COVID-19 prevents the league from completing the World Series.
None of the insiders expect owners to accept the proposal as is, but Bob Nightengale of USA Today was encouraged enough to tweet that “there will be baseball this summer.”
2003 Marlins virtual reunion
Coinciding with the replay of 2003 World Series Game 6 on FOX Sports Florida, the Marlins are arranging a Zoom call with the following championship-winning players: Luis Castillo, Jeff Conine, Álex González, Todd Hollandsworth, Derrek Lee, Mike Lowell, Mike Mordecai, Brad Penny and Juan Pierre. That leaves one glaring omission, of course: Josh Beckett, who shut out the Yankees on short rest to clinch the title. Should be a fun and enlightening conversation nonetheless.
Marlins A through Z
Kevin Kraczkowski has launched a new project at Marlin Maniac, highlighting past and present Marlins players based on their last names. The letter-by-letter article series begins with Brian Anderson, Sandy Alcantara, Moises Alou and the rest of the A-team, followed by the B-team of A.J. Burnett, Bobby Bonilla and more.
- The Jupiter Hammerheads are on the cusp of selecting the winner of a game-used Sixto Sánchez jersey! Enter on Twitter before it’s too late.
#RoadTo10k Followers update:— Jupiter Hammerheads (@GoHammerheads) May 29, 2020
We are 79 away from 10,000 followers. ONLY 79!
One of you could win a GAME USED Hammerheads jersey from @Marlins No. 1 overall prospect Sixto Sanchez!
RETWEET this post!
FOLLOW us! pic.twitter.com/75DvoYyAFv
- The Sev & Geff Live interview with former Marlins radio broadcaster Jon “Boog” Sciambi is available on YouTube. Or if you prefer, all episodes of the show have been converted to podcast form (available on any pod provider).
- Here’s my latest check-in on how the Fish are doing in 2020 season simulations.
- Ian Smith joins the Prospects 365 Fantasy Baseball Podcast for MLB Draft analysis and barbecue tips.
- Tuesday at 6 p.m., 940 WINZ will have the replay of the Marlins’ win from July 1, 2014. Ed Lucas provided the walk-off heroics. Three more broadcasts from walk-off wins are scheduled for the near future.
- Congrats to Garrett Cooper and Sterling Sharp who were named to the all-decade teams at their alma maters, Auburn University and North Famington High School (MI), respectively.