Quiz Across the Pond
I greatly enjoyed this new trivia concept from Marlins fan Peter Pratt! The first-ever “Quiz Across the Pond”—livestreamed on Twitch Sunday afternoon—included 40 total questions (all multiple choice), ranging from easily identifiable players to hyper-specific achievements that even die-hards would be guessing at.
Peter intends to continue doing this while the 2020 season is delayed. To request particular dates/times, contact him on Twitter or leave a comment on the article and we can relay it to him.
Best Minor League Team Name Tournament
We have seen that the baseball industry finally respects the depth and upside of the much-improved Marlins farm system. Now, will their creatively named Minor League Baseball affiliates get the votes they deserve?
Diamond Digest created a MiLB team name tournament. The Double-A Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp, High-A Jupiter Hammerheads, Low-A Clinton LumberKings and Short Season A Batavia Muckdogs all made it into the 64-team field. The Hammerheads and Muckdogs have been placed in the same bracket region, so unfortunately, an all-Marlins Final Four won’t be possible.
- Manager Don Mattingly doesn’t operate any personal social media accounts, but courtesy of his wife, Lori, we can see that he is eschewing his clean-cut reputation and embracing a greasier, low-maintenance look.
- From Locked On Marlins, Aram Leighton unpacks the consequences of beginning the MLB season with a 29-man active roster (rather than the 26-man rosters team had been expecting under normal circumstances).
- Sunday’s Sev & Geff Live featured Hall of Fame broadcaster Dave Van Horne. Plenty of entertaining stories, as you might imagine.
- Outfielder Magneuris Sierra is preparing to celebrate his 24th birthday on Tuesday! Over a not-so-nice 69-game sample for the Marlins, he owns a .225/.256/.257 slash line with only six stolen bases in 11 attempts. However, he had flashes of productivity last September.
- Veteran catcher Ryan Lavarnway—who’s with the Marlins for 2020 on a minor league deal—has partnered with Pro Baseball Insider to film an extension training program for aspiring catchers. Well suited for these difficult times considering you don’t need in-person contact with him to access the full benefits of it.
- 2020 season simulations from Baseball-Reference and Strat-O-Matic each have the Marlins getting off to a solid start through 10 games.
- Tuesday marks the sixth anniversary of our beloved José Fernández making his MLB debut. Treat yourself to this Pitching Ninja montage of his extraordinary slider.
109 Seconds of José Fernández Sliders. pic.twitter.com/PPXiId8Uja— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) April 5, 2020