On Saturday, the Marlins are playing an organized baseball game, ending a drought of nearly five months that stretches back to the end of the 2019 MLB regular season. Some of you have been anxiously awaiting this and kept tabs on the team daily throughout the winter. For others, you may be visiting Fish Stripes for the first time since the calendar flipped. In either case, I figured we could all use a refresher on what happened during the interim period.
The Marlins front office was busy. Newcomers to the organization include Jesús Aguilar, Francisco Cervelli, Corey Dickerson, Yimi Garcia, Matt Joyce, Brandon Kintzler, Sterling Sharp, Stephen Tarpley and Jonathan Villar.
Overall, 18 spots on the 40-man roster have changed hands since the Marlins last took the field, as illustrated below:
So what happened to everybody else? Glad you asked...
Improving upon last season’s 57-105 record will come through a combination of veteran acquisitions, gifted prospects matriculating to The Show and “addition by subtraction” (cutting ties with many of their worst performers).
- Minor league signings who are non-roster invitees at Marlins Spring Training: Brad Boxberger, Ryan Cook, Gosuke Katoh, Matt Kemp, Ryan Lavarnway, Christian Lopes, Brian Navarreto, Aaron Northcraft, Sean Rodriguez, Josh A. Smith, Pat Venditte
- Minor league signing without Spring Training invite who happens to be 6-foot-9: Johan Quezada
- Non-40-man prospects received from other organizations: Diowill Burgos (trade), José Estrada (trade), Julian León (Rule 5 Draft), Angeudis Santos (trade)
- Non-40-man prospects sent to other organizations: Easton Lucas (trade), James Nelson (trade), Jhonny Santos (Rule 5 Draft)
- Incoming major league coaches: Wellington Cepeda, Billy Hatcher, Eddy Rodriguez, James Rowson
- Outgoing major league coaches: Fredi González, Brian Schneider, Dean Treanor, Tim Wallach
As the dust finally settles on all of the personnel changes, Marlins payroll has actually dropped slightly.
What’s your grade for the 2019-20 Marlins offseason?
This poll is closed