More recognition for BA
2020 All-MLB Team candidates— Fish Stripes (@fishstripes) October 29, 2020
2020 MLB postseason appearances
Phillies: 0 https://t.co/qaGKeFWJCJ
There are two ways to react to the All-MLB Team ballot from a Marlins’ perspective—Miami has been egregiously disrespected, getting only one of the nearly 100 player nominees despite a winning record and postseason berth; or it’s a remarkable testament to organizational depth and Don Mattingly’s maneuvers that the team accomplished what it did despite lacking individual starpower. I lean towards the latter.
Voting ends at 2 p.m. ET on Nov. 13. MLB.com allows you to vote once every 24 hours between now and then.
Also announced on Thursday, Anderson finished seventh at his position in the voting for The Fielding Bible Awards.
Latest on Marlins roster churn
Six Marlins were part of the initial major league free agent wave following the conclusion of the World Series. Since then, relievers Drew Steckenrider, Brian Moran, Mike Morin, Pat Venditte and Josh A. Smith have joined them due to a lack of space on the 40-man roster. The decision on Brandon Kintzler’s $4 million option hasn’t been made official yet, but it is expected to be declined—comparable veterans Sergio Romo and Darren O’Day had their options declined by the Twins and Braves, respectively.
Five Marlins remain on the 60-day injured list, but there are now vacant spots for all of them to be reinstated without requiring corresponding moves. More updates to come here.
- The Marlins’ Promote The Vote Auction continues through Nov. 6.
- Michael Hill is among at least seven candidates who has interviewed from the Los Angeles Angels general manager position. So has former Marlins exec Dan Jennings.
- The Swimming Upstream podcast resumed its series ranking the Top 100 Marlins prospects. The final installment is coming in November.
- Shortstop José Salas tells Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald about his Florida Instructional League experience.
- In September, Marlins scout Shaeffer Hall came on the Baseball America podcast to describe how he joined the Fish and the process that led them to select right-hander Max Meyer with their 2020 first-round draft pick. That interview has now been transcribed here (subscription required).
- Reporter/radio host Andy Slater appeared on the Fish Across the Pond podcast to discuss his craft.
- If you missed the premiere of the Miami Marlins Season Review special on FOX Sports Florida, it will be replayed 11 more times over the coming days.
- You will be unsurprised to learn that ESPN is skeptical of the Marlins moving forward, ranking them 21st in their latest MLB power rankings.
- Bring J.T. Realmuto home in free agency and a Marlins dynasty will follow, according to @f1rstplacefish.