Options, options, options
Marlins would like RP Brandon Kintzler to return. Either they will pick up his option or try and work out a new deal after the World Series.— Craig Mish (@CraigMish) October 26, 2020
The Marlins have already implied that they will exercise their 2021 club option on outfielder Starling Marte. Will they do the same for right-hander Brandon Kintzler? That’s still up in the air, per Craig Mish.
Under the terms of his contract, Kintzler would receive a raise to $4 million after earning $3 million this past season. He performed well in 2020 (2.22 ERA, 12 of 14 save opportunities converted), but seems poised for some regression (4.58 xERA, career-low .247 BABIP, declining fastball velocity). He has a long track record of durability, making at least 54 relief appearances in six of seven MLB seasons from 2013-2019.
It’s my opinion that the Marlins bullpen is better off with 36-year-old involved...as long as Don Mattingly allows for closer competition rather than automatically locking him into that role.
Promote The Vote Auction
Game-used Marlins memorabilia from the 2020 season and authentic game-worn Negro Leagues-inspired Miami Giants throwback jerseys are among the items that you can bid on here. The team is collaborating with UNKNWN to raise awareness for social justice and racial equality, and specifically to assist South Florida voters. Proceeds will be used to provide meals at polling locations in Liberty City and Little Havana on Election Day (Nov. 3) so that people in those communities are not discouraged by potentially outrageous lines/wait times.
The auction closes at 6 p.m. ET on Nov. 6.
- Happy 37th birthday to Martín Prado! The former Marlins infielder retired last winter.
- The Colombian professional baseball league confirms that Marlins catcher Jorge Alfaro will play for Caimanes de Barranquilla this offseason. He’ll be one of the few participating players who has major league experience. Their regular season begins on Nov. 28.
- The transfer of power from the Wilpons, who have owned the Mets for decades, to multi-billionaire Steve Cohen is almost complete.
- Radio legend Dave Van Horne sent his scorebooks from the 2020 Marlins season to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame.
- On Sunday, Tua Tagovailoa makes his much-anticipated first start for the Miami Dolphins! Check out this new t-shirt celebrating the news.
- On a related note, enter to win a free t-shirt from Marlins UK with a simple quote-tweet.