This article has been updated following Thursday’s Francisco Cervelli signing.
We are still 11 weeks away from having any real 2020 Marlins player stats to analyze, but in the meantime, there is new “data” of another sort that should be of great interest to fans: uniform numbers. Several familiar faces will make changes from the previous season while newcomers acquired over the winter have declared their numerical identities.
Uniform numbers are still subject to change. The Marlins will announce them for all of their non-roster invitees—and coaches!—within the next month once the group is finalized.
But here’s what Fish Stripes has learned about 40-man roster players after correspondence with the Marlins communications department.
- Jon Berti—changing from No. 55 to No. 5. Rosell Herrera wore No. 5 for the Marlins last season, but elected free agency in November and has since signed with the Yankees.
- Lewis Brinson—changing from No. 9 to No. 25. Brinson had been wearing No. 9 since joining the Marlins as a tribute to Juan Pierre, who was one of his childhood idols. He became No. 6 during his stint with the Triple-A New Orleans Baby Cakes last season. The No. 25 was unused by the 2019 Marlins; he’ll become the first player since Junichi Tazawa to wear it.
- Ryne Stanek—changing from No. 35 to No. 55 now that Berti has made it available. Stanek was No. 55 on the Rays prior to being traded to Miami last July.
- Jesús Aguilar—wearing No. 24. Last worn by a Marlin in 2015 (Andre Rienzo). Aguilar previously had the number with the Brewers.
- Francisco Cervelli—wearing No. 29, which he has used for most of his major league career. Last worn by a Marlin in 2018 (Brad Ziegler).
- Corey Dickerson—wearing No. 23. Last worn by a Marlin in 2015 (Jarred Cosart). Dickerson finished last season as No. 31 after being traded to the Phillies, but that’s taken in Miami by Caleb Smith.
- Yimi García—wearing No. 93. Never worn before by a Marlin in the regular season. García was No. 63 throughout his Dodgers tenure, but that’s taken in Miami by Brian Moran.
- Sterling Sharp—wearing No. 56. Last worn by a Marlin in 2019 (Tayron Guerrero).
- Jonathan Villar—wearing No. 2. Last worn by a Marlin in 2019 (Yadiel Rivera). Villar previously had the number with the Astros and Orioles.