Hey Miami Marlins fans! Scott and I spoke with Jason Pare, the new Marlins director of the analytics division, and it looks like the Fish are looking for an internship position within the organization to help out on the analytics side. If any of you smart, saber-friendly Marlins readers have any interest, you can learn more about the opening below.
Internships: Player Operations
The Baseball Analytics Intern will assist Baseball Operations decision-making through the analysis and research of baseball information. The specific day-to-day responsibilities of this position will vary depending on the baseball calendar, but it requires a general knowledge of how to use objective data to answer baseball-related questions, with a strong preference for a candidate possessing an established foundation of statistical and database management skills.
- Perform advanced statistical analysis on large datasets in order to assist in the decision-making of the Baseball Operations department
- Expand upon existing analytical strategy by improving existing resources and creating new databases, models, and reports
- Perform ad-hoc research projects as requested and present those results in a concise, straightforward manner
- Monitor publically available baseball research
- Provide administrative support and complete general intern duties as requested
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Understanding of and passion for the game of baseball
- Ability to communicate baseball analytics concepts to individuals with diverse baseball backgrounds
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, and ability to self-direct
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays during the season
Suggested Education & Experience Guidelines:
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant practical experience required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required
- Familiarity with current state of freely available baseball research required
- Knowledge of ball tracking data (e.g. Pitch F/X, TrackMan, etc.) strongly preferred
- Experience with relational databases and SQL strongly preferred
- Experience with R statistical software package strongly preferred
- Experience with at least one scripting language (e.g. Perl, Python, Ruby) a plus
Interested applicants can contact and send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Keep on the lookout, as there may be more opportunities available in the future that might be advertised by Fish Stripes!