In case you’ve been living under a rock, the 2016 baseball season ended with a bang yesterday. There now remain 150 days until Opening Day 2017. In the meantime, we here at Fish Stripes have compiled a list of notable offseason dates for you.
First, awards season kicks off next week. Here are the applicable dates:
Player Awards Announcement Schedule
- November 7: BBWAA Awards Finalists Show (MLB Network)
- November 8: Rawlings Gold Glove Awards (ESPN)
- November 9: Players Choice Awards (MLB Network)
- November 10: Louisville Silver Slugger Awards (MLB Network)
- November 14: BBWAA Rookies of the Year (MLB Network)
- November 15: BBWAA Managers of the Year (MLB Network)
- November 16: BBWAA Cy Young Awards (MLB Network)
- November 17: BBWAA Most Valuable Player Awards (MLB Network)
- November 18: Esurance MLB Awards (MLB Network and MLB.com)
- November 7 (5 days after World Series): Last day to exercise contract options for 2017. The Marlins have already exercised Ichiro’s $2M option for next season and have added another $2M option for 2018. They declined Fernando Rodney’s $2M 2017 option yesterday.
- November 7 (5 days after World Series): Deadline for teams to make qualifying offers to their free agent players. The qualifying offer this year is $17.2M. Since the Marlins have already extended Martin Prado, they have no one else to whom they would make a qualifying offer since none of their impending free agents who spent all of 2016 with them made more than $3.5M.
- November 14 (12 days after World Series): Deadline for free agents to accept qualifying offers.
- November 7-10: General managers' meetings in Scottsdale, Arizona
- November 16-17: MLB owners meetings in Chicago, Illinois
- November 20: Last day to submit 40-man rosters in advance of the Rule 5 draft
- December 1: Collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between MLB owners and MLB Players' Association expires.
- December 2: Last day for teams to offer 2017 contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters. Arbitration-eligible players* are often non-tendered by or before this date.
- December 5: Hall of Fame vote announced in National Harbor, Maryland
- December 5-8: MLB Winter Meetings in Washington, D.C.
- December 8: Rule 5 draft
- January 12 (est.)*: Salary arbitration filing date for teams and players. David Phelps, Adeiny Hechavarria, A.J. Ramos, Tom Koehler, Marcell Ozuna, and Derek Dietrich are the eligible Marlins.
- January 15 (est.)*: Salary arbitration figures exchanged
- February 1-21*: Salary arbitration hearings
- February 13 (est.)**: Voluntary reporting date to spring training for pitchers, catchers and injured players
- February 18 (est.)**: Voluntary reporting date to spring training for other players
- February 21 (est.)** : Mandatory reporting date to spring training for all players
- February 25 (est.)**: Grapefruit League exhibition games begin
- March 7-22: World Baseball Classic
- March 15: Last day to place a player on unconditional release waivers and pay 30 days termination pay.
- March 29: Last day to request unconditional release waivers on a player and pay 45 days’ salary instead of his full 2017 salary.
- April 2: Opening Day, 3 games. Active rosters reduced to 25 players.
- April 3: Marlins’ Opening Day. They open at the Nationals.
- April 11: Marlins’ home opener vs. the Atlanta Braves.
*MLB has not released dates for arbitration deadlines, as they are subject to the new CBA.
**The Marlins, like almost every team, have not formally announced dates for players to report to spring training. The dates posted reflect reporting dates of the one team that has announced.