clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Miami Marlins sign Casey McGehee to one-year deal

New, comments

Jeff Baker was placed on the disabled list in the corresponding roster move.

Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

MIAMI -- Casey McGehee is back. Miami announced it signed the veteran infielder to a one-year deal on Friday afternoon. Jeff Baker was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left intercostal strain in the corresponding roster move.

"We're going to use him some at first, some at third, and some as the right-handed bat off the bench," Manager Dan Jennings said. "He helped set a culture last year in this clubhouse. He is a winner."

McGehee, 32, posted a .213/.275/.299 batting line to complement two home runs and 11 RBIs through 49 games before being released by the Giants. He had success with the Marlins last season and was ultimately named the National League Comeback Player of The Year. McGehee batted .287/.355/.357 while driving in 76 runs and thrived with runners in scoring position.

"He was a huge part of us having 14 walk off wins," Jennings said. "He can provide clutch at-bats with runners in scoring position. Right now that is a bit of a weakness of ours. Just happy to have him back."

Martin Prado has been on the disabled list with a shoulder injury and is not scheduled to return until after the All-Star break. While he might only be used as a spot starter, McGehee will get a start on Saturday night in game three of a four game set against the Reds.

"Somebody has to knock the rust off," Jennings said. "Tomorrow he'll be in there at third base ready to go."

McGehee was dealt to San Francisco in exchange for a pair of prospects at the end of December. He spent the 2013 season with the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles within the Japanese Pacific League.