As the 2013 MLB Hot Stove season continued to linger on, Miami Marlins faithful were beyond pessimistic about the possibility of Miami making a move that would make an immediate positive impact on the face of the team. With a proposed limited budget in tow, it appeared that the team would go into Spring Training empty handed for the second straight season.
However, the start of December also lead for Miami to pull a complete 180 on their original offseason budget as they "broke the bank" to acquire the talented 28 year old catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. With an apparent three-year, $21 million contract, the Marlins have more than likely patched up a catching position that was manned by Rob Brantly and Jeff Mathis during the previous season. Going from the duo who combined to produce a -1.3 WAR during 2013, "Salty" will be entering Miami after having an All-Star caliber 2013 season in which he produced an extremely solid .273/.338/.446 split line.
While the ink hasn't dried on Saltalamacchia's contract, that doesn't mean that we can't share our opinions on this huge signing. So we here at Fish Stripes want you to tell us your thoughts about the big move either in the comment section or in the poll! Here are some other questions with regards to the Saltalamacchia signing?
1) How do you think Salty will fit into the lineup? Where will he hit?
2) How will he adapt to Marlins Park's dimensions?
3) What are your thoughts on his defense? Good or bad for Miami's young pitching staff?
4) Is Saltalamacchia shaving his beard going to be a major loss for Miami? How will he fit into this clubhouse?
5) How does this affect Brantly, Mathis, and Jacob Realmuto?
6) How does this affect the future of the team? Does it help or hurt the Fish's chances of retaining Giancarlo Stanton?
Let us know what you think about these questions and more in the comments, and vote in the poll!