I am expecting big things out of catcher this upcoming season for the Marlins. Not only did Rob Brantly bat .290 in 100 at bats last season. He walked 13 times while only striking out 16 times. This young man has patience at the plate. Now if he could only keep the rest of the line up in check. Here is to a great season for Brantly.
- Prospect Watch finds Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez number three on the list of top 10 right-handed pitchers. Its only a matter of time that we see Fernandez up with the big league squad. Read more here.
- In case you missed it, the Marlins have signed utility player Matt Downs to a minor league deal with invitation to spring training. Read more here.
- Joe Capozzi writes on how the Marlins were snubbed from yet another all-star game. This time Bud Selig awarded the game to the Cincinnati Reds and Great American Ball Park in 2015. Hopefully the Marlins will be awarded the 2017 version. Read more here.
Around The League
- Closer Jason Motte has inked a two-year deal with the St. Louis Cardinals. He saved 42 games last season. Read more here.
- Mark DeRosa has signed a one-year deal with the Toronto Blue Jays. This completes the Jays 25-man roster heading into the spring. Read more here.
- The Philadelphia Phillies have signed Delmon Young to a one year deal. He's hoping for a fresh start. Read more here.
At Fish Stripes
- Mr. Jong writes this week about another potential Giancarlo Stanton suitor. This time its the Tampa Bay Rays. Read more here.
- Our fearless leader writes that the Marlins are receiving calls from a few older free agents that would like to play with them. This includes Bobby Abreu and Freddy Garcia. I agree the Marlins should take a flyer on Garcia. Read more here.
- Guess what Jose Reyes had to say about a recent conversation he had with Jeffrey Loria? He says Loria told him five days earlier he would not be traded. Doesn't make a lot of sense right? Except then you remember who Loria and Samson are, and it makes a lot of sense. Read more here.