The Marlins only have a few weeks left in the season. The team has a bunch of young kids in the starting rotation and bullpen (Turner, Eovaldi, Ramos, Cishek, etc.). The team is using a different third baseman every night (obviously after the Hanley trade). And the September call ups have been few. However, for the players on the current roster, they have to continue to play for a job next season (except of course for JJ, Reyes, and Stanton).
- Giancarlo Stanton's compression sleeve has become a hit for many fans attending Marlins Park. Occasionally you can see fans wearing one themselves. Now we know why Stanton wears it. First it started off as a precaution against injury. Now he is just used to playing with it.
- Ozzie said this week that the Marlins players should not complain about the size of Marlins Park. Basically, he feels like its something the players should not think much about since they are going to play in the spacious park 81 home games a year.
- Rob Brantly has been amazing for the Marlins since his promotion. He is currently riding an eight game hitting streak. And he has the attention of his manager. "He's better than what I thought. You got a kid coming from the minors, a couple of years from being drafted, that's huge, especially handling big-league pitching staff."
- For his work in the community, and for various other projects outside of baseball, Logan Morrison has been named the Marlins nominee for the 2012 Roberto Clemente Award. Great job LoMo!
- Giancarlo Stanton missed another game on Tuesday night. The Marlins kept him out of the line up due to soreness in his left intercostal muscle. He tweaked it during last Saturday night's game against the Reds.
- The Marlins have eclipsed the two million mark in attendance for the season. That is certainly an achievement for this squad in their first year at Marlins Park.
Around the League
- The Houston Astros are looking for a new manager as they enter the American League next season. It won't be Larry Bowa however. Even though Bowa was reportedly impressed with the Astros when he recently met with them.
- Apparently the New York Mets are open to trading Ike Davis in the off season. It has not panned out for the first baseman. Plus, by moving him, it opens up the position for Lucas Duda. Remember that Duda is a natural first baseman any way.
At Fish Stripes
- Mr. Jong writes that the Marlins failure to contend this year should not be pinned on Ozzie Guillen. The Marlins manager might have been disappointing this season, but so many other factors contributed to the losing season.
- B.J. Upton will be an option for the Marlins in free agency this upcoming off season. However, he will not be the best option for the Fish in center. There are other options that make more sense (including using Bonifacio there). Read more here.