The Marlins continue their march through May as I predicted in an earlier Fish Bites article. Inching closer to the record number of wins in any month in team history. The team does not have any more road games this month. And they get a chance to return the favor to the Nationals next week when Washington comes to town for three games. Additionally, now its not only the team receiving recognition. Even Marlins Park is winning awards. Recently the building won the Gold Certification. Great job all around.
- Joe Frisaro says that while Marlins Park might not be the ideal park to hit a home run in, the park has been inviting for triples. The Fish have hit ten of these at home. While one opposing player has hit one to push the total to 11 at the new facility. Interesting that it plays out that way.
- Austin Kearns has won over manager Guillen with his recent play. He went a perfect four hits in four trips on Monday night. Ozzie was honest and said that Kearns was his first cut in spring training. In fact it was luck that kept him around. Read more here.
- New Orleans Zephyrs starting pitcher Wade LeBlanc named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week. The last Zephyr to do this was Elih Villanueva last June. LeBlanc threw a pair of eight inning games last week.
- The Fish Pond reminds us that Ricky Nolasco is going for a team record in pitching wins on Tuesday night. This is his third attempt. He is currently tied with Dontrelle Willis at 68 wins apiece.
- The perfect outcome happened Monday night at Marlins Park when Stanton hit a blast off of Jamie Moyer. Baseball Nation says its not the only possible outcome obviously. But how sweet it was to see that entire at bat.
- John Buck reached out to recently demoted Marlins first baseman Gaby Sanchez. He told him to hurry up and get back to Miami because the ball club needs him. Hopefully that is the case. The Marlins are a better team with Gaby.
Around the League
- Double whammy for Aroldis Chapman. He was arrested for speeding with a suspended license. Maybe he was celebrating his recent promotion to closer? Read exact details here.
- Ex-fan favorite Cody Ross is now on the disabled list. He may actually be there for awhile. Initial reports say six to eight weeks while his fractured foot heals. Scott Podsednik has been called up by the last place Red Sox.
- The White Sox have signed Orlando Hudson for the remainder of the year. They do this as they place Brent Morel on the disabled list. Interesting to see where Hudson where play since the White Sox already have Gordon Beckham playing at second base.
At Fish Stripes
- Please tell me you watched the bomb hit by Giancarlo Stanton Monday night against Jamie Moyer? If you have not seen it, click here and watch it now.
- Please vote on the Ozzie poll located below. Let's see how you feel about him giving up Twitter.