clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Fish Wrap: Marlins 4, Mets 6

It's never a good idea for a closer to issue a leadoff walk with the game tied in the top of the ninth. That point was driven home--if you will--for the Marlins when Leo Nunez's leadoff walk to Ike Davis became the go-ahead run that set the Mets' win in motion on Super Saturday at Sun Life Stadium. 

The second game of the Marlins series with the Mets started a heck of a lot better than it ended. The Fish jumped to an early lead off of Jon Niese, scoring twice in the bottom of the first. With Omar Infante at first, Hanley Ramirez doubled, and Gaby Sanchez walked to load the bases for Logan Morrison, whose RBI single plated two runs.

With the Fish playing some nice D behind him, Ricky Nolasco had a good night on the mound, holding the Mets scoreless through three innings before giving up a solo home run to David Wright in the fourth. The Mets added a tying run off of Ricky in the sixth on Ike Davis's two-out RBI double.

Ricky went seven innings for the Fish and gave up two runs on seven hits, striking out four, before the call to the bullpen.

Unfortunately, Jon Niese settled down after his rocky first inning, and didn't allow another run to the Marlins in his seven innings of work. He did, however, hit Donnie Murphy with a pitch in a scary moment in the bottom of the seventh. The ball struck Murph on his right hand, and he was lifted from the game. 

Fish fans got some good news from Murphy after the game, when he tweeted:


@dmurphyirish22 ...Got lucky and didn't break my hand and should be back in a day or 2!

With Murphy out of commission, Scott Cousins came in to play right field, and Bonifacio moved from right to third base, the second of three positions he played in the game, which tied a franchise record. (Ten bucks says he's tied with Alfredo Amezaga, though I'm far too lazy to bother looking it up. And speaking of Amezaga, Boni must've been channeling him somehow, because he had a great night on the field, too, showing off some very nice defensive moves. We now begrudgingly admit that he is not the worst MLB player of all time.) 


Clay Hensley held the score in the eight inning before Leo Nunez took over in the ninth. Leo walked Ike Davis to open the inning, and Josh Thole's two-out line drive to left plated him to put the Mets in the lead.

The Marlins fought back in the bottom of the inning and tied the game against Francisco Rodriguez. John Buck singled with one out, and Brett Hayes came in as a pinch runner. He moved to third on a two-out single by Bonifacio, and scored when Gregg Dobbs pinch hit and singled to center. 

Then came the tenth inning. Ryan Webb made his Marlins debut, and it didn't go so well sucked. Webb gave up three straight singles to the Mets to put them back in the lead before Mike Dunn replaced him on the mound. After Dunn recorded two outs, he gave up a two-run double to Willie Harris, which put the Mets up 6-3.

In the bottom of the tenth, the Marlins staged a mini attempt at a comeback against Blaine Boyer. Gaby Sanchez doubled, and Brett Hayes singled him home to bring the Fish within two, but Scott Cousins grounded out to end the game. 

A pity to see the Marlins bullpen waste a good night from Ricky Nolasco, and a great night of defense for the Fish. The good news is, the pen has 160 games to attempt to redeem itself.  

And the series is tied.