clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Thinning out the herd

The Marlins sent some more players down to the minors.

The Marlins trimmed seven players from their roster Friday.

The team reassigned pitchers Chris George and Eddie Rodriguez and infielder Scott Seabol to minor league camp. The Marlins also optioned pitchers Jesus Delgado, Harvey Garcia and Scott Tyler to Double-A Carolina and sent first baseman Jason Stokes to Triple-A Albuquerque.

Stokes was taken off the 40-man roster, which is now down to 35.

The moves aren't surprising but one thing is curious, and that is: Jason Stokes being removed from the 40-man roster.  Generally when this happens, especially in the case of Stokes, it means the club is planning on making some of the non-roster invitees members of the 40-man roster or that an acquisition is almost guaranteed.

This should be interesting.

Oh, in case you get all your baseball info from the USA Today, they did get something wrong.

USA Today accidentally printed that Marlins outfielder Cody Ross had been sent down to the minors. Ross said he had several phone calls about the incident.

Gonzalez said he was asked about the miscue.

"That's the first time I've ever seen a newspaper been wrong," Gonzalez said with a laugh. "He took it well."

I'm glad he took it well.  But really, there was next to no chance of this happening.  Cody is out of options and the Marlins are a bit thin when it comes to outfielders.  To outright Ross, at this point in time, wouldn't make any sense. Well, except to the writers of USA Today.