clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

The Marlins catcher situation

New, 1 comment

This happens most every year -- the front office makes mostly very intelligent moves and then becomes single minded on one position.  Last season it was "the team needs a veteran closer", and they wouldn't let it drop.  So in 2007 we had to endure the disasters that were Jorge Julio and Armando Benitez before they finally realized that the talent already on the team was quite capable of doing the job all season long.

This season it appears it is going to be the catcher position.

The Marlins struck out on the bidding for one of their top free-agent targets Thursday when catcher Yorvit Torrealba agreed to a reported three-year, $14.4 million contract with the New York Mets.

Now, Florida will focus on free agent Michael Barrett but will have to compete with offers from the San Diego Padres and Colorado Rockies, among other teams.

The Marlins also could turn their attention to Paul Lo Duca, Rod Barajas and Damian Miller, but all three veterans will attract interest from teams with higher payrolls in a thin market for starting catchers.

---

And during the general managers' meetings last week, baseball operations President Larry Beinfest indicated the Marlins like Treanor as the backup.

"He has done a good job in that role. Whether he steps up into a different role obviously depends on our catching situation,'' Beinfest said.

Treanor, 31, who has been in the organization since 1997, said he hopes to at least have more playing time next year, if not a shot at the starting job. "I definitely want to play as much as possible. I hope to get a little more chance than I did last year,'' said Treanor, who hit .269 with four homers and 19 RBI in 55 games last year.

Since Barrett has already been covered some, I won't waste the precious time I have railing on him further, for now.

So let's look at Lo Duca.  The Mets were willing to give the light hitting and questionable behind the plate Torrealba, roughly, $5 million per year for 3 years instead of re-signing Lo Doca.  The same Lo Doca who hit .272/.311/.378 and earned $6.25 million last season.  This has to say something.

It's time to forget these two as potential catchers for the Marlins, if for no other reason than they cost too much and the limited resources could be better spent elsewhere.

Let Treanor and Baker handle the job.

Oh, something I learned while looking up Lo Duca's contract -- Paul Hoover is no longer with the organization.  He refused assignment and is now a free agent.  If by chance I mentioned this before, it completely slipped my mind.