August 5, 2012;Washington D. C., USA; Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen during the game against the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park. Mandatory Credit: Evan Habeeb-US PRESSWIRE
All signs point to major changes for the Marlins next season. And even though it should have never been this way, we might finally see changes even in the front office. Think that if the Marlins are going to start moving players around through trades, and picking up new free agents, essentially you might be doing the same thing you did this past off season. So it might be time for the general manager, the people on the development side, and even the team president, are evaluated further. I can't believe that through all of this losing, the focus is always on the manager or the players. How about if the pitching coach or lead scout is as scrutinized?
- Believe it or not, the Marlins are now saying there is a chance both Emilio Bonifacio and Logan Morrison will return from injury this season. On Emilio they are certain. Expect him back August 19. As for Lomo, David Samson recently said he could return. I don't see why you push him. If anything, maybe Lomo can start fresh next spring training?
- Good notes on the Marlins this week from Buster Olney. Obviously Olney is one of the best in the business. He speaks to the Marlins attendance numbers first. The club is averaging 10,000 more people per game over last year. That is the largest increase in the majors. Then, Buster discusses what the Marlins might do with their huge salaries in the upcoming years. I just hope Stanton stays here for the next ten years.
- Want some nostalgia? How about this piece from Marlins Daily? Here is a true Marlins fan that takes you down memory lane. Including where the Fish played their first spring training games. Try to guess the city or the venue.
- With an infield single in the forth inning of the game Tuesday night, Jose Reyes extended his hit streak to 25 games. It is the longest streak in the Majors this year. Its a far cry from when Reyes came to play in New York earlier in the season. He was struggling at the plate, and the Marlins were wondering what was up. Now he is on it again.
- The Fish have activated Giancarlo Stantonfrom the DL. He has been out for a month. Giancarlo tore it up during a recent rehab assignment. For a team that has only won eight games out of 26 in the month of July, his return could not come any sooner.
Around the League
- Drew Hutchinson is going to have Tommy John surgery later this week. Obviously, Dr. James Andrews will perform this on the Blue Jays right hander. Just another injury for a Toronto team that has seen its fair share of injuries this season.
At Fish Stripes
- Mr. Jong breaks down the long term contracts the Marlins made over the last few seasons. He speaks to Heath Bell's deal, Hanley's deal, even Ricky Nolasco's contract. In the end, while the ball club made a few bad deals, many of them have actually been good deals.
- Please remember to vote our poll this week. Who do you think the Marlins will pick in the 2013 draft?
Where do you think the Marlins will pick in the 2013 draft? (discuss in the comments)
1-5 (7 votes)
6-10 (21 votes)
11-20 (3 votes)
higher than 20th. I have mild delusions. (4 votes)
35 total votes