MILWAUKEE, WI - JULY 02: Nyjer Morgan #2 of the Milwaukee Brewers shakes hands with Jose Reyes #7 of the Miami Marlins before the start of the game at Miller Park on July 02, 2012 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. (Photo by Mike McGinnis/Getty Images)
The Marlins will have a decision to make after the All-Star break. If Emilio Bonifacio returns as expected, who is going to be set down? Or even released? Obviously, Justin Ruggiano has showed that if given playing time, he can produce (.403 AVG/.479 OPB/.790 SLG), not to mention a 231 OPS+. Ruggiano only has 62 at bats at this point, but as long as he continues to hit, he will be alright.
- Boni will return because of how much he means to the Marlins' speed game. However, candidates to be sent down to the farm include Gaby Sanchez (.194/.240/.283), Donovan Solano (.368/.432/.474), or Scott Cousins(.222/.222/.444). The team could also release Greg Dobbs or Austin Kearns, but don't count on it as both players are sorely needed for their pitch hitting specialty. No matter what the team chooses, congrats to Ruggiano, for coming to team and seizing the opportunity.
- Because of similar knee ailments, both Giancarlo Stanton and Hanley Ramirez did not start the game against the Brewers Tuesday afternoon. Both should be fine going forward, they only need rest at this point. Ramirez did come into the game in the ninth inning however because the team needed him as the bench was emptying.
- Looks like Zach Greinke and Carlos Zambrano have a history with each other. They exchanged words early on in the game on Monday. Apparently Greinke brushed Zambrano off the plate for hitting Ryan Braun with a pitch in the first inning.
- Even though there is an extreme heat wave in the Milwaukee area, the Brewers plan to leave the roof open at Miller Park for all three afternoon games of their current series against the Marlins. The reason? Miller Park does not have air condition. So with the temperature 94 degrees at first pitch Tuesday afternoon, team officials are worried it could get uncomfortable inside if the roof is indeed closed.
- The Sun Sentinel has posted the following poll: What pitcher had the greatest single season in Marlins history? Obviously the question comes after Dontrelle Willis announces his retirement. Of the choices given, I go with Kevin Brown over Willis. Brown finished the 1996 season with a 1.89 ERA.
Around the League
- Chipper Jones is headed to the all-star game in Kansas City. He is replacing Matt Kemp of the Dodgers who is out due to injury. And Ryan Braun will start in the outfield instead of Kemp. Read more here.
At Fish Stripes
- Mr. Jong remembers Marlins favorite, Dontrelle Willis this week. The D Train has retired from baseball. It would be cool to see him throw out a first pitch at Marlins Park in the future.
- Get a preview of the all-start festivities on Fish Stripes by clicking here. We will get to see big Giancarlo Stanton at the home run derby, and a bench player at the actually game. Good for you Stanton!