The Marlins are a funny team. After losing six in a row to open up a home stand, the ball club decides to open up the roof before their Monday night game against the Red Sox, and the team wins the game 4-1. Not only is it silly to believe it was the roof that helped the Marlins to win, its just as silly that the actual opening of the roof got so much attention in the media. I understand its important for the Marlins to stay out of trouble and not get wrapped up in negative press, but it must be a slow news day when we read about the roof opening after a Marlins victory.
- Did you know that Mark Buehrle is the all-time leader with 24 interleague wins? And that before Tuesday night's game against the Red Sox, he was 10-0 with a 1.93 ERA over his last 15 interleague starts. That is simply amazing.
- Amazing as it may seem, Giancarlo Stanton has yet to crack the top 15 outfielders in all-star voting. Are fans just not being smart when they fill out the ballots? Stanton has got to be hurting with the Marlins lack of national coverage on the major networks. Oh well.
- Manager Ozzie Guillen said recently that Donovan Solano and Justin Ruggiano have made a case for more playing time in the near future. After all, with the ball club again struggling to hit for average, it would be wise to try a few different options. Read Fish Bytes here.
- Baseball Prospectus says that Josh Johnson is back after his latest start on Monday. I can tell you one thing, he was not shy about pitching inside on batters. Read more here.
- Since Boston is in town, it is good to go back and look at the Hanley-Beckett trade of November 2005. It was not only a fair trade, it is still reaping benefits even today. I have to say that as a Marlins fan, this was one of Larry Beinfest's better deals.
Around the League
- Vladimir Guerrero was released by the Blue Jays on Tuesday. He did say he is not retiring, and instead is looking forward to singing with another team. In fact, his agent says he can play in the majors right away. Read more here.
At Fish Stripes
- Want to know why Josh Johnson has been pitching better as of late? Mr. Jong will tell you if you click here.