The Rangers could win it all tonight and history may be on their side, or maybe not.
This from Joe Lemire:
Though nearly two-thirds (27 out of 41) of the tiebreaking Game 5 winners ended up winning a World Series that was knotted 2-2, oddly six of the nine most recent Game 5 winners actually lost the series.
What's more, in the nine previous World Series in which the Cardinals were tied 2-2 through four games, they won the championship in seven of them, including four times after losing Game 5.
Okay, it may be a toss-up according to history. But in order to break the toss-up we turn to Nicktoons.
A simulation run by 2K Play's Nicktoons MLB predicts that with some animated help, the Rangers will triumph, 6 to 5, in Game 6 to win their first Commissioner's Trophy as World Series champions.
In the simulation, both teams were given a boost by the addition of top Nickelodeon Nicktoons talent. Stepping into the dugout with the Rangers was SpongeBob SquarePants, ZIM, Fanboy, Katara and the indomitable Powdered Toast Man. Not to be outdone, the Cardinals were joined by the animated power-players Patrick Star, GAZ, Chum Chum, Aang and Stimpy. Since rain is forecasted for Game 6 in St. Louis, the Nicktoons MLB game was moved for precautionary reasons to the more stable, albeit freezing, climate of Frosty Freeze Field. Among the game-changing highlights:
- Cardinals' CF Jon Jay hit a frozen rope and legged out a triple for the first hit of the game in the 2nd inning and later scored.
- In the 4th inning, Albert Pujols mashed a two-run homer off SpongeBob for a 3-0 St. Louis lead.
- Rangers' slugger Mike Napoli drove Stimpy's stinkball into the gap, scoring ZIM in the 5th.
- Michael Young slid under the tag attempt of Aang in the 6th, later scoring to take the lead.
- Katara went down swinging with the bases loaded as catcher Yadier Molina called for a fastball to end the Rangers' threat.
- In the bottom of the 9th, Adrian Beltre's miraculous two-out diving catch strands Patrick Star on third base and secures the Rangers' first-ever World Series!
To view all-new screenshots of the simulation's highlights, please visit:
You can't argue with that. So it is, the Rangers in six.