career averages/season (as starter):
159.8 GP 94.8 R 163.2 H 38.0 HR 107.7 RBI 94 BB .282 AVG .390 OBP .561 SLG
I think this guy should be number 1 on our FA list for MANY reasons.
1. very possible he leaves milwaukee. doubt he'd be against playing for fish considering new dome, potential lineup, already played HS in FLA. as long as we can offer a competitive contract.....
2. he's 27, in his prime & has proven he can play every day.
3. he'll make $$ for the fish: jerseys, more tickets, win more games
4. plug him b/n hanley & stanton securing a 3-4-5 for next 5-7 years that could average 95+ HRs/year.
5. signing a leadoff guy (jose reyes) to a HUGE contract is a bad idea. boner can already get on base at .340 or maybe better for under a mill. your leadoff guy can't be 20% of team salary. we'll never win.
6. highly doubt zambrano magically becomes a better person with ozzie as coach. he can't be worth more than a 1 year contract b/c of temper, lack of consistency, temper, weight, asking price, & temper.
But real questions are: can we & how could we actually acquire fielder?
What contract will get fielder? 17mil/yr? 18? 19? more? How much of a total salary increase are the fish taking on? Anibal definitely leaving at end of year? Leo (whatever his name is) getting traded? Are we gonna try to move LoMo? Omar? Vazquez? Hanley moving positions? Dominguez ready for next year?
if nothing really changes & we sign fielder in FA
1. bonifacio 3B
2. cogs CF
3. hanley SS
4. fielder 1B
5. stanton RF
6. lomo/dobbs/gaby LF
7. buck C
8. infante 2B
or boner at 2B & dominguez 3B batting 8th. great lineup. lots of high OBP guys.
the guy's a better option than reyes & certainly zambrano. hopefully the FO sees that & can make an honest attempt for him. we'll see.......